Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

1. Include instance-specific name (@@SERVERNAME) on alert mails

The alert mails for a SQL Server cluster contain the cluster name but not the actual instance virtual name. It would be nice if the mails contained the actual virtual name (as given by "select @@servername") so that the email contained all the details needed to connect to an alerting instance.

My cluster name (i.e. CLUST01) is a different IP than my virtual names (i.e. VIRTUALSQL01), which means that I can't connect to my "FOO" instance by "CLUST01\FOO" as the alert email seems to indicate. Instead I need to connect via "VIRTUALSQL01\FOO" which is not present anywhere in the alert…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Trigger Self Healing Script and Auto Close

It would be great if SQL Monitor could invoke a SQL script upon an alert threshold being crossed and then take action within itself (ie. clear itself, notify a team, etc) based on the value returned (0/1) or default to an action if there is an issue with the script execution.

This type of functionality would help administrators have a first line of defense before truly getting paged on an alert such as a drive filling (perhaps you have txt files you can purge or shrink logs (though I don't necessarily condone this, but you get the idea!)

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Different email addresses for different thresholds

Although you can specify different thresholds for High, Medium and Low alerts, they all end up at the same email address or slack channel. It would be useful to be able to change this so highs went to one address, mediums to another etc.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. allow analysis graphs to update with realtime data without having to manually refresh them

We have SQLmonitor analysis graphs running on wallboards to show us data that is useful to us, but we continually need to click the button to "jump to present", as the timeline does not update as more data is collected to show the most recent history. We want the graph to move automatically to match the current time of day.
    Maybe a "play" button that would allow thye display to automatically refresh the graph along the timeline and a pause button should you want to drill deeper into a certain time period when investigating issues. Having the graph update automatically…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Filter Longest Running Queries Tile by Database

The Longest Running Queries Tile on the Reports screen would be more useful if we could target only one database.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Notification Profiles

It would be nice to have different notification profiles. For example, I'd like to have a notification profile for business hours vs. after hours.
    For business hours, I'd like to be notified when certain alerts happen, but during after hours, I would only like to know about if there is a system down issues.

It would be nice to have some kind of alert escalation system like this. So if I want certain alerts to alert me only when the High threshold has been reached after hours, but any other alerts during business hours.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Displaying the actual names of the disks and not just the Volume Number for the Disk space alert

In SQL Monitor when you are using the disk space alert in conjunction with multiple volumes on different mountpoints SQL Monitor tends to display just the HardDisk Volume number in the alert, this is extremely unhelpful as it means you have to log on to the physical server, launch diskmgmt.msc and match the disk thats alerting to take any action. Is it possible to just display the mount point name as opposed to the Disk Volume Number? This would be extremely helpful and would give a wealth of information instantly.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export options for "Head Blocker" diagram

The "Overviews | BLOCKING PROCESSES (TOP 10 BY TIME)" shows a really nice chart of the blocking chain. It would be useful if this could be exported to an image file and/or a CSV.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Custom metric: alert when value changed

I want to be alerted if someone creates or deletes a database. The metric itself is easy (select count(*) from sys.databases - executed for the master DB on all servers).

But in the alert setting I can only define that it should trigger if the new result is abover or below a set value but not for value changed (compared eigther to the previous value or the "baseline").

So I have to create two metrics / alerts for DB drop (below) and create (above) AND have to define / modify the number of databases as alert threshold for each server…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Use error messages from SSIS catalogue

When a job fails, which is run from SSIS Catalogue, then the error message is basically "look in SSIS Catalogue", which is not very useful. I suggest using the error message from the [SSISDB].[catalog].[event_messages] view instead for these cases.

In our home made monitoring system we're checking the subsystem in sysjobsteps, then use the command from there to identify the dtsx package name and looking up the latest message from [SSISDB].[catalog].[event_messages] for that package for the error message.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Baseline machine metrics across cluster failovers

CONTEXT: Using the Analysis graph for historical performance analysis of machine metrics on a cluster that failed over at least once

PROBLEM: Machine metrics are collected per node. Baselines of only one node can be shown at a time, and so no baseline view of performance on the "active" component can be synthesised.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    • Enable multiple simultaneous baselines
    • Implement synthetic (bimodal) baselines across cluster nodes
    • Provide synthetic metrics for entites on the "active" component of a cluster

What do you think about these solutions? Got another idea? Let us know in the comments!

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Commit to supporting Linux in some way

Linux is the future of sql server. If you've not deployed SQL 2019 AlwaysOn on Kubernetes I'd highly suggest you do. The install is lightning fast compared to clunky Windows installers of the past. I really feel like Redgate is taking a slow poison by not getting on this sooner. Honestly most of the metrics in sql monitor come from the internals of sql. All we really need from Linux is probably free disk space and cpu.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Reduce false positives due to log shipping / Mirroring

On secondary server for log shipping/mirroring false positives can be generated for overdue backups/databases unavailable. If these technologies are used for DR purposes then having the checks ignored is unsafe. It is trivial to filter these out with the below code and I'm sure there is something similar in place for Availability Group databases already.

SELECT *
    FROM sys.databases
    WHERE name NOT IN (SELECT secondarydatabase FROM msdb.dbo.logshippingsecondarydatabases UNION SELECT dbname(databaseid) FROM msdb.sys.databasemirroring WHERE mirroringrole_desc = 'MIRROR')

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. exclude databases from alerts with a named pattern

Some of our databases are named "XXX_Database", the "XXX" indicating that it should not be monitored. It would be nice to exclude those from alerts based on a given naming pattern.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Total data file size/used metrics - add filegroup level

CONTEXT: We have some databases with multiple filegroups, I’d be useful to be able to drill down from the DB level to the FG level on the “Total data file size” and “Total data file used” metrics.

PROBLEM: Not being able to slice totals by FG is problematic, since different FGs often have different capacity / performance requirements, different space used speed/patterns etc.

EXAMPLE SOLUTION: For “Total data file size” and “Total data file used” add an additional selector window after the database selector: a list of filegroups + an (All) option at the top. So, the selectors would be:…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Monitor Resource Governor

Possibility to monitor Resource Governor Pools:
    • Show statistics on pools
    • Show workload of groups: cpu, io and memory

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow custom metrics to be optionally created as "event" alerts rather than default "continuous" alerts.

I have installed the "Used/available database space increased alert" which alerts when defined thresholds of used space have been exceeded. However, once activated, the alert remains in an active state with no additional notifications (easily missed). I'd prefer to have this metric run daily and notify each time a threshold is exceeded.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. See disk percentage free/used to Machine overview page

It would be useful to see disk percentage free/used on the machine overview page next to the used / allocated column. This would give us a quick idea of how full the machine's disk is percentage-wise without having to do the math elsewhere.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Alerts for suspect_pages

We would like to see alerts for suspected pages.

Errors Recorded in suspect_pages Table

The suspectpages table contains one row per page that failed with an 824 error, up to a limit of 1,000 rows. The following table shows errors logged in the eventtype column of the suspect_pages table.

Error description eventtype value
    823 error caused by an operating system CRC error or 824 error other than a bad checksum or a torn page (for example, a bad page ID) 1
    Bad checksum 2
    Torn page 3
    Restored (The page was restored after it was marked bad)

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. see sessions from sys.dm_exec_requests in top 10 queries

I never see commands like BACKUP DATABASE or ALTER INDEX in top 10 queries and got the message from support that the information is taken from sys.dmexecquerystats
    As it is now it is hard to track down where heavy I/O comes from if it is for example index maintenance or backup.
    I think RedGate should record all commands from sys.dm
    exec_requests and join in the execution plans where they exist and other stats if needed

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base