Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

In SQL Monitor, I want to...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Have a long running SQL Agent job alert

I found a custom metric for a single long running job. However, what we need is a way to alert for SQL Agent jobs that are running beyond a designated time (similar to the long running query metric built in). The "unusual duration" alert doesn't quite do what we need. Hopefully someone knows how to make this a custom metric. If not, consider a feature request!

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. FORCE "Estate" refresh re Actual Disk Space

Just freed-up 55GB on tempdb drive. F5 on the Estate page, Disk Usage tab, and SQM still says 11GB. Clearly WRONG!

Give us the ability for FORCE a disk usage re-calc.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Support SAML for Web Single Sign-On (SSO)

SQL Monitor should be able to support Enterprise Single Sign-On using SAML. Is this on the roadmap?

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Find Queries / Stored Procs whose Performance has Decreased Over Time

In preparation for changing the database compatibility level for our primary database to 2014, we would like to see which queries and stored procedures are performing poorly after the switch is made in the staging environment. While I can do this to a limited extent by looking at top queries in Red Gate Monitoring, I was wondering if there was an automated way to alert on this. For example, alert on any stored procedures / queries that appear in the top 100 costliest queries by duration / CPU usage, whose average duration / CPU usage has more than doubled since…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Estate Disk Usage Emailed Report

It would be great if we could schedule an emailed report of the disk usage estate section.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Use error messages from SSIS catalogue

When a job fails, which is run from SSIS Catalogue, then the error message is basically "look in SSIS Catalogue", which is not very useful. I suggest using the error message from the [SSISDB].[catalog].[event_messages] view instead for these cases.

In our home made monitoring system we're checking the subsystem in sysjobsteps, then use the command from there to identify the dtsx package name and looking up the latest message from [SSISDB].[catalog].[event_messages] for that package for the error message.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. SQL Agents Job Display Time Windows that Jobs are executing

The SQL Agent Jobs screen is a great way to track all jobs across all monitored servers. I think it would be helpful to see the gaps of time that no job is running to help determine maintenance windows and also make sure that the jobs are properly spaced out.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Monitor SQL instances running in AWS RDS

Enable SQL Monitor to add AWS RDS instances as monitored servers

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add development machines without a license.

You should be able to add development machines at no additional cost if you already have a production license. If you do not have a license for the development instance then the features can be scaled back to only allow you to view alerts.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add option to make Reports public - i.e. available without having to log in

..so that i can add a publicly (internally..) available all-in-one dashboard view to my NOC TV screens, presenting all relevant information at a glance!

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Be able to customize alerts by job

I would like to be able to customize alerts by job. For instance, I have many jobs that run multiple times per hour. If it fails once or twice, I don't want to be alerted about it. However, if it fails 3+ times in a row, I want to be alerted.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Show login or user in the Top 10 Queries

Include login or user id information in the Top 10 Queries. This could help identify if a user is running an ad-hoc query.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow for the conversion of time to to HH-MM-SEC in the Duration column on the Server Overview Page

Its difficult to always have to convert milliseconds, so it would be very handy if this conversion was an option to be included.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Alerts related to SQL Jobs should show the job name not the job Id

Process name: SQLAgent - TSQL JobStep (Job 0xECCD1234543A1FA439B02DE3CE12F139E : Step 1)

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Overview - Drill-through ability on Splits/sec to the Queries causing it

So we get to the "Analysis" page when clicking on a peak in the Page Splits/sec graph. But that tells me the same thing, in larger form, but not the root cause...

It's the root cause of 20K/sec I'm after... So, please give us the CHOICE of drill-through, to the responsible queries grid, or some other place. It's only useful if the ACTUAL queries causing the splits are listed, not just a repetition of the top-10.

Thanks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SQL Agent jobs with a 'cancelled' status are incorrectly flagged as 'Job failing' in the Alert Inbox

With Always On related SQL Agent jobs, an initial job step is added to check whether the target database is Primary/Secondary on the cluster node. If 'Primary', then continue with subsequent job steps, if 'Secondary' then stop and do not attempt any further job steps. In circumstances where the job is stopped the last run outcome is shown as 'Canceled' - however, SQL Monitor shows these particular status jobs as 'Job failing' in the Alert Inbox. The job hasn't really failed and has been stopped in a controlled way. Can the status of these job be correctly identified please?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Include Top N Worst Performing Stored Procedures and Functions

At my organization, we do a lot of tuning at the stored procedure and function level.

I would like a tab similar to the existing top 10 queries tab, that lists the CPU utilization, memory utilization and IO consumption of the top 10 worst performing stored procedures, and another tab that lists the top 10 worst performing functions. For each of the fields I would like to see both the totals, and the percent of total during the specified time period.

This will allow us to identify the stored procedures and functions to tune, and once tuned, it will allow…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Baseline data within report graphs

It would be useful if I can include baseline data (as in Analysis section) within reports and their graphs.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. export the overview page

The reporting is very limited and provides less detail that the overview and estate pages. We need to be able to export the overview and estate pages easily. Also need to be able to report on the Top queries and top waits.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Filter out Long Running Query alerts based on wait type

We have a 3rd party product that has a SQL Database. It has something in it that loads data RBAR (Row-By-Agonising-Row). The query gets all the data in about 3 seconds and then sits waiting on ASYNC_NETWORK_IO for ages (close to 40 minutes).

We don't want to exclude the application from all long running query alerts, and the query is different everytime which would make it hard to filter based on regex (and not filter other queries we care about).

We'd like a way that we can not raise a long running query alert if it's waiting on ASYNC_NETWORK_IO

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base