Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — the Redgate Monitor team will often stay quiet initially about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

682 results found

1. use alternate IP addresses for named instances

I am modifying my named instances to use separate IP addresses. This allows me to use CNAMES for each databases, We are then able to move the databases around to another instance without the customers having to modify their connection strings.We are also able to use port 1433 for all existences. SQL monitor tries to connect to the instance using the servername\SQLINSTANCE, which no longer works remotely suite to each instance having it's own IP Address using and alternate A-RECORD name.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Assign user to an event

It would be helpful if we could assign a User to an event, just like comments, so when you login, you could switch to a view that holds assigned events that someone wants you to look at.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Auto hide Menu and Filter bar

When in TV/Overview mode (dashboard), It would be nice to get the full real estate on the TV/Monitor to show as many server tiles as posible, hence auto hiding the top menu and filter bar. with a dropdown button (show button) on the top right side of the server tile area. (shown in the image associated).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Display total memory for memory graphs on summary screens

The memory graph on the summary screen does not always show the total memory on the screen. It shows what is being used, but I have no idea how much is free.

I have attached a file showing one one of my servers that has 128GB of total memory. However, the graph only shows 75GB and it makes it look like most of the memory is consumed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Activity monitor is showing "Blocked By" sessions that are not showing up in SQL Monitor

Is there an issue with the blocking information in SQL Monitor or are there certain types of blocks that are excluded? We are seeing blocks displayed in the SSMS Activity Monitor that are not being displayed on the SQL Monitor Overview page for Blocked Processes.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add the icon for machine type (VM/Azure/Physical) on the main screen display.

Currently you have to click on the machine to display the icon to see if it is a VM or physical machine.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Data disk space usage percentage in Reports

There is a tile in the Report section called "Log Space Used %". Having a tile for mdf files, ie "Data Disk Space Used %", would be very handy in setting initial sizes in the first instance and would also give you a heads up in setting file sizes appropriately going forward.
    All this would then be sent via email on a daily basis to monitor both log and disk sizes - so that unexpected file growth is one less thing for a DBA to worry about.
    I understand there is something similar in the Estate section, but this has…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. alert layout

I'd like to suggest a revamp in the layout of alerts on Details tab.

This is so you can see at a glance what execution is causing the alert without having to scroll too much.

When reviewing alerts on a computer screen, there's a lot of white space (dead space) to the right of the Connection information. I'd like to suggest that in the unused space, you move the SQL Process Fragment information to the right of the Connection information.

If the window size of the browser is too narrow, it could slide back below the server information. (Responsive)

In…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Performance graphs on disk space alert page

When we get to the disk space alert details it shows -as with all alerts- a bunch of performance graphs like CPU utilization, disk queue length etc... I think the most relevant graph is missing for this particular case. It would be much more interesting to get a quick glance of the disk space growth over the last 24 hours or couple of dyas for example

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Limit the number of backup entries listed for Estate Backup details

When viewing the backup details of a database in the Estate Backup view, the number of backups listed severly impact the usability. It seem to retrieve all backups done and stored in the SQL monitor DB or in msdb. As we have frequent log backups, this list is very long and heavy to retrieve and display.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Cluster Roles that have been renamed should no longer have an entry with the old name

Over the last year and a half I have migrated several SQL FCI's to new windows clusters, new hardware, windows and SQL versions. To accomplish this with minimal downtime I had to setup the cluster roles ahead of time with everything ready to go prior to doing a final tlog backup/restore and rename of the cluster instances. This has worked well for us however SQL Monitor creates a new server record when the instance is renamed and never gets rid of the original name of the the new instance. This has left me with SQL Monitor still showing this nonexistent…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Include more details regarding a disk space usage/free report

What I'm looking for is that for today, the D: drive is this filesize, e.g. 500gb. Once the report runs again the following week, it is 505 gb and so on. Then it would summarize that there is a differential of 5 gb which is the growth.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. It would be nice to be able to exclude names of databases to be backed up instead of un clicking them one at a time .

It would be nice to be able to exclude names of databases to be backed up instead of un clicking them one at a time .
    This should be similar to the long running queries where you have the option to exclude.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Alternate color background on dashboard server groups

Could you add some alternating color background to different server groups on the overview dashboard so the swimlanes are much easier to distinguish

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Wider parameters for reports

Incorporate ability to run reports for a group of monitored servers for a longer duration. For example: Report of unreachable status on 12 different servers for the past year.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I am making reports in the Red Gate SQL Monitor. I am organizing them by databases in AGs. This is difficult because when selecting what dat

I am making reports in the Red Gate SQL Monitor. I am organizing them by databases in AGs. This is difficult because when selecting what database to monitor it is either ALL on server or an individual one. I have to put a new line for each database I want. Could you please also include "ALL in AG xxx". This way I do not have to add a line for each database in the AG I am monitoring, and if I add or take away a database from that AG then it will automatically be done on the report.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Error Log Section - Under the instance screen add a search function similar to Databases section where we can search for keywords like fail

Error Log Section - Under the instance screen add a search function similar to Databases section where we can search for keywords like failed logins. This will speed up the process to look for something specific rather than moving through pages looking for that one error.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Sort top queries by logical reads, or cpu usage.

Same idea that is already being done with duration. These are the 3 aggregates most commonly used. Being able to sort by avg vs total would be ideal. Performance Reports in SSMS can do this, so that idea.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Show alert bubbles in other metrics, too

I like seeing the alert bubbles in the main overview. It would be helpful to also be able to see them in the additional metrics shown below. Anothe option would be to align these other metrics with the main 4-metric window.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. MONITORING ERROR (SQL SERVER DATA COLLECTION) more infromation

Is it possible to list the items that failed in the alert?

In the description for this alert it notes that one or more of the following connection methods failed:
    WMI
    Remote registry (PerfMon and registry access)
    Remote file access is not set up (hidden administrative shares should be enabled)
    SQL connectivity

Is it possible to note in the alert details which one failed? It would make troubleshooting after the fact a bit easier.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?