Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. Be able to see in the overviews panel how much RAM my monitored instances are consuming just like I can see CPU and Disk IO for example.

I want to monitor how much RAM my instances are consuming while I'm in the overviews panel and even though I can go to a specific panel for checking this specific counter it'd be useful to havr it in the single overviews panel and not moving back and forth.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. see the meaning of the alert in the email alert going out as it shows in the description on the dashboard inside the dashboard

This will provide more context at what the alert means without going into the dashboard (web) page.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Customized Alerts

Hi,

Can we get a report which shows top 10 databases by growth over a certain period of time, across all the monitored SQL instances?

There should be one graph which shows top 10 databases by growth, gathering data from all the databases scattered across multiple SQL instances, rather than multiple graphs showing top 10 databases by growth.

It would be nice to have so that we can determine what databases do we need to focus on.

Thanks,
    Hammad

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Long Running Query Alert - Update Process Fragment Info for Agent Jobs with SSIS Packages

One of the most common alerts that we get is the Long Running Query alert. However, when the query is due to a package executing from an agent job, there is little to no information about what is running long. The attached image is an excerpt from one of the alerts we got this morning. We can tell it is from an executing job, because of the SSISDB database specified. But beyond that, we are left trying to figure out which job/package was the culprit by digging through execution logs and schedules, then trying to match execution lengths with where…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Just like you can configure multiple alert thresholds for: JOB DURATION UNUSUAL ALERT you should be able to do so for: JOB FAILING ALERT

This would allow notifications for failed jobs to be sent to different functional recipient(s) (e.g. Dev vs. Support vs. Ops teams) based on key words and other criteria.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. blocked by (number)

This should be easy to implement..

"blocked by [some number]"
    If available show the security context/or username associated to the session number.

It would be a time saver, and enable me to react or ignore faster

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Sortable columns on the Alert Inbox (Grouped or ungrouped)

The Alert inbox should be sortable by column.
    It would be much easier to focus on key items if the Alert Text column could be sorted. A straight alpha sort (Asc or Desc) would be great. So for instance a "Long-running query (731)" would sort before a "Long-running query (525)" and all of the "Long-running query" be easy to seledt and clear.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. See who is using SQL monitor

Before I upgrade SQL Monitor I'd like to see who is logged in/using it so I can inform them.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Show when a Windows/SQL patch was applied

The current SQL Estate Monitor will show activity for a specific server and has the ability to show when code for example was deployed. I mentioned at the recent SQL in the City in London that it would be good to see any kind of patching that had been applied to that server as well. Get quick eyes on anomalies after a windows update or SQL patch.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow users to specify the time period in minutes for the top 10 expensive queries

I would like to specify that exact minutes on the slider for Top Queries. Currently you can only do a 15-minute change. But I would like to be able to do that down to a minute range. Sometimes we make a change and I don't want to wait 15 minutes to filter out the previous queries.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add user editable notes in estate

Add the ability to add some basic text notes for each instance that can be viewed in the estate view. Want to keep some basic notes such as purpose of instance, application server dependencies, etc. Currently use external document to keep track of these.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow linking directly to a screen/alert, but down to the specific page area expanded.

Be able to share links with colleages directly to the section of the site you are trying to direct them to. For example, I want to share an alert page, but on that page, I want to direct them to the "Top Queries" tab, and even into a specific query expanded.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exclude individual databases entirely from scope

There are some databases (including the RedGateMonitor database) that i do not want to see reported with alerts. I want the ability to omit certain databases entirely from the scope of monitoring and leave all other databases on that machine in the scope of monitoring/alerts.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. update alerts

When you go into an alert, would it be possible to have a button that can fire off and get the current value as it is now. For example, the attached was raised but may not get picked up for whatever reason until the Monday, if I could refresh the values that would be great as an index main task may have happened between the alert and when I get to it. Hope that makes sense?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Filter for Database with no Tlog backup

On the Estate->Backup page, it would be great to have an additional drop-down option for 'DBs without Tlog"

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Job Duration Unusual: ability to set different thresholds for different jobs

Some jobs that take a few minutes, others routinely take a longer time to run, and so it would be useful to set different thresholds for different jobs.

The current set up allows for excluding jobs from the alert, but offers no way of still monitoring those jobs.

I only want to exclude the jobs from monitoring, only if its possible to add in another alert just for them.

The documentation seems to hint that you can configure different alerts for different jobs, but all I've found is the high medium low thresholds, and this isn't the same.

This combined…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. sql estate email out option

It would be great if you could set up an email routine to email out reports from the Estate tab. E.g. the backups tab would be useful to email out an export of the screen.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add the ability to optionally fire a data gathering query if an alert fires

For example, https://sqlmonitormetrics.red-gate.com/suspiciouserrors/ (Detect Suspicious Errors Typical of a SQL Injection Attack)...

If suspicious activity crosses a threshold, it throws an alert. Great. Now what? I have an alert but no data to investigate without opening SSMS (or tool of choice) and running a query like this (I’m sure there are better ways but this works for an example)

SELECT CAST(targetdata asxml) AS targetdata
    INTO #SuspiciousErrors
    FROM sys.dm
    xesessiontargets xet
    JOIN sys.dmxesessions xes ON xes.address=xet.eventsessionaddress
    WHERE xes.name='MonitorSuspiciousErrors'
    AND xet.targetname ='ringbuffer';

SELECT
    dateadd(mi,datediff(mi,getutcdate(),getdate()),xed.eventdata.value('(@timestamp)[1]','datetime2'))AS EventTime
    , xed.event
    data.value('(data[@name="errornumber"]/value)[1]','int')AS ErrorNum
    , xed.event

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Overviews Alert Severity Colours

When I go to the overviews page the servers have different alert levels represented by a colour and a symbol. I would like the choice of colours to be easier to identify for colour blind people, so the healthy, low and medium have colours that are almost identical to colour blind people as the contrast is so similar: https://personal.utdallas.edu/~melacy/pages/2D_Design/Itten_ColorContrasts/ColorWheel02.png

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Have a parameter for status/severity colour

when using slack notifications messages are automatically coloured red/green for failed, ended.

Like a lot of companies we're migrating to Microsoft Teams and whilst we can use the Webhook stuff to reproduce most of the slack alert for Teams we're not able to colour code the alert based on status. Having a new parameter for status-colour and severity-colour would really allow us to clean this up.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions