Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

1. Cluster Roles that have been renamed should no longer have an entry with the old name

Over the last year and a half I have migrated several SQL FCI's to new windows clusters, new hardware, windows and SQL versions. To accomplish this with minimal downtime I had to setup the cluster roles ahead of time with everything ready to go prior to doing a final tlog backup/restore and rename of the cluster instances. This has worked well for us however SQL Monitor creates a new server record when the instance is renamed and never gets rid of the original name of the the new instance. This has left me with SQL Monitor still showing this nonexistent…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. update alerts

When you go into an alert, would it be possible to have a button that can fire off and get the current value as it is now. For example, the attached was raised but may not get picked up for whatever reason until the Monday, if I could refresh the values that would be great as an index main task may have happened between the alert and when I get to it. Hope that makes sense?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Assign user to an event

It would be helpful if we could assign a User to an event, just like comments, so when you login, you could switch to a view that holds assigned events that someone wants you to look at.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. show sql related windows event log entries

Rather than going through all Windows event log entries looking for SQL related events on every monitored server, it would be good to have them displayed on the server screen along with the SQL Error log entries.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I would like to be able to install an update without having to change the browser port.

I start with port 8080, when installing an update the port is "in-use" so I have to switch to port 8081, with the next update I switch back to port 8080.
    Surely the update should be smart enough to see there is a running process and either disable the web process until the update is finished, or make the update without having to change the port

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. auto refresh

I'd like the Analysis Graph to auto jump to present every 1 mintue

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. For SQL Permission currently there is only permission for users in the server level displayed . Can the permission level in the database

For SQL Permission currently there is only permission for users in the server level displayed . Can the permission level in the database level be able to display

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Wider parameters for reports

Incorporate ability to run reports for a group of monitored servers for a longer duration. For example: Report of unreachable status on 12 different servers for the past year.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Share alerts via Email

The ability to share alerts details via Email from the "Alert Details" page.

Sometimes we don't want to share a direct link to the monitor.

E.G
    Click "share" which will open a mailto: with the relevant alert details.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Custom metrics to have their own individual data purging value

At the moment, we can only have a single value for data purging for all custom metrics.

I would like to be able to set a custom data purging interval for selected custom metrics as I'd like to track them over a longer period of time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Show alert bubbles in other metrics, too

I like seeing the alert bubbles in the main overview. It would be helpful to also be able to see them in the additional metrics shown below. Anothe option would be to align these other metrics with the main 4-metric window.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Long running query alerts and daylight saving time changes

many long running query alerts generated between 1 am and 2 am on Sunday 11/5, as the time change caused it to add an hour when calculating all the query times. Can the alert be adjusted to account for the time change?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Like Installed Version can there be tab to show the latest security patch being installed

Like Installed Version can there be tab to show the latest security patch being installed . A very good report for audit compliance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Have a way to exclude Deadlock alerts based on the T-SQL or Proc name

I would like to exclude alerts for deadlocks based on a procedure name or other T-SQL, just like I can do for LRQ and other alerts. Please see http://productsupport.red-gate.com/hc/requests/170766

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. scroll through the overview graph and zoom in/out

It would be a lot easier if we could scroll through the overview graph and zoom in/out. For instance, on Monday morning I need to inspect a long (2 to 3 day) ETL job with 4 main parts. Currently I have to select the last timestamp I like to see in the graph and then select "Last 2 days". Then I can drag the sliders to highlight the area I want to investigate.

It would be easier to click the graph and drag it left/right and use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. see Lock Escalations/sec as available metric in analysis graph

The customizable analysis graph does not include the option to display Lock Escalations/Sec (\SQLServer:Access Methods\Table Lock Escalations/sec). I like to compare this to baseline to regression-test releases. In conjunction with waits\locks, it can also warn the user that an index is no longer being used (as would happen if Entity Framework began searching a varchar column for an nvarchar value).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. How to see the fragmentation level of the indexes in all the databases

How to see the fragmentation level of the indexes in all the databases in the SQL Monitor .

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Manage Scheduled SQL Monitor Reports from one overview page.

It's easy to set up a new report and schedule for SQL monitor reports. But once schedules are created it's difficult to manage them.
    Have an overview page that would allow you to see all that has been scheduled .... giving options to:
    1) Delete individual schedule (e.g. following server decommission or server no longer monitored).
    2) Edit individual report schedule ... e.g. change time / frequency and for a particular type of report change the target server for that report ... i.e server replaced, being able to move report from reporting on original server report created for to replacement…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Display total memory for memory graphs on summary screens

The memory graph on the summary screen does not always show the total memory on the screen. It shows what is being used, but I have no idea how much is free.

I have attached a file showing one one of my servers that has 128GB of total memory. However, the graph only shows 75GB and it makes it look like most of the memory is consumed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can the reports be exported as excel?

Can the reports under reports tab be exported as excel?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base