Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. Provide Mobile version of Alert Monitoring Screen

It may be just me (since no one sle has yet to suggest this) but a mobile friendly version of SQL Monitor for the ALERTS tab would be of great benefit. Currently I check the ALERTS on my SMART PHONE which has a screen waaaayyyy to small to do this but since I have no tablet option I have no other choice.

A mobile option at login to SQL Monitor would let those with smaller sized computing devices acccess the ALERTS tab so as to monitor/check in on their SQL Monitor instance remotely.

Thanks

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Neil Turner responded

There are currently no plans for a SQL Monitor mobile app. We hope to improve the experience when using SQL Monitor on a mobile device. However at the moment we can’t give a timescale for when this might happen.

2. Collecting custom metrics for multiple databases at the same time

ATM, a custom metric can return one value, but sometimes collecting the metric for one database takes the same amount of time as collecting it for all of the databases.

Having a multi-database metric (maybe something that returns a database id -> value map (as a two col table)) would be especially useful if it takes a long time to collect the metric (in my case it takes nearly 30 secs to collect it).

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow configuration of Fragmentation Alerts down to Table for EXCLUSIONS

The Fragmentation Alert for a database only permits on/off and low/medium/high with page count configurations.

This is far, far too high a level to be useful.

The Alert needs, at the very least, INCLUSION and EXCLUSION capabilities by table within database. An overall fragmentation low/medium/high and pages would be OK to START WITH, but It would be great to be able to go to each index and state the fragmentation limits and even whether to monitor it.

In my case, I use Idera's excellent Defrag Manager, so when I see this alert, I check that Defrag Manager is doing its…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Save DMV Snapshots for Analyzing and monitoring changes

Idea is to save snapshots of DMV's so that the changes can be analyzed. For example sys.dmexecprocedure_stats shows only total, last and average elapsed time. It will be great to know how the average changed over a period of time.

Common use case: sysproperties

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add other Red Gate tools to SQL Monitor as licensed modules

It would be useful if the following tools were additional modules that could be added to the web interface to SQL Monitor;

SQL Backup Pro
    Index Manager

For example, upon receiving a no database/log backup alert it would be great to just click into another section of SQL Monitor to then diagnose/fix the issue rather than using an external application. Additionally the capability within Index Manager would sit well in SQL Monitor as a logical extension for the fragmented index alert.

This would allow SQL Monitor to be the primary place that a DBA would need to go in order…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Option to exclude custom metric from Analysis Graph page

When setting up a custom metric, have the ability to exclude it from the Analysis Graph page. E.g. I set up a metric that checks the AutoUpdateStatistics setting for each database and then creates an alert if a database is set to OFF for this setting.
    It is however not needed in the Analysis Graph page as it is purely an alert.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Create alert on items in Analysis Graph

The ability to create an alert metric around data which is currently being collected for the Analysis graphs. E.g. Being able to alert when the BufferPagerLifeExpectancy drops below a certain amount.

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add an option to schedule when custom metrics run against a given database.

Currently when a custom metric is executed can only be controlled by the frequency (daily, hourly, etc).

My primary purpose is for daily. I would like to schedule the time of day a daily metric is run per database, or at least server. The custom metrics I pull back are time sensitive so controlling when the metric is returned is a must.

A more advanced option to this would be going beyond simply choosing the time of day for daily runs, but rather the ability to build a custom schedule of run times. An example might be Custom Metric A…

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add custom metrics to Overview(s)

Add the ability to choose what is displayed on the overview for a given server/instance - especially with the addition of custom metrics.

Even better would be to allow the addition of multiple overviews (aka Dashboards) and configure what each one displays.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

We like that idea – if it gains traction, we’ll prioritise it more

10. custom group order

I'd like to be able to pick an order of my groups... dev, prod, staging in alpha I'd prefer to see prod, staging, dev.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add % CPU Usage column for the "User SQL processes (top 10 by CPU usage)" section.

On the Overview page for the SQL Server instance there is a section: User SQL processes (top 10 by CPU usage) that show current SPIDs that are utilizing CPU resources. This section should show the actual % of CPU usage for that SPID.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Have audible alerts on SQL Monitor

It would be very helpful to have a configuration setting to make alerts audible (something like a beep or alarm ring). In the office we have a screen that displays the SQL Monitor where the alerts are only noticed when people look at the screen, which is not very often.

An audible alert of 'red' alerts would prompt us to action them straight the way.

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add additional perfmon counters

It would be useful to have configurable perfmon counters available in "Analysis" above and beyond the out-of-the-box counters.

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

For SQL Server perf counters, you can create a Custom Metric against sys.dm_os_performance_counters. For Machine perf counters, you have to use CLI at the moment

14. allow more configuration options for the 'Job duration unusual' alert

The 'Job duration unusual' alert is based off of the last ten runs of a job. I think allowing a configurable number of runs to be a baseline or better yet, the last x runs at the same time of day would be ideal.

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add more visibility to captured system processes

A view of all system processes is available whenever an alert is clicked. It would be nice to get the same view of system processes with their CPU and memory consumption for a specified time even of there is no alert to click on at that time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Jobs in calender formart so you can see when they are all schedualed.

It would be nice if you could see all jobs on the server. Perhaps in a calender format so that you can see when they are schedualed. It would be nice if you could drag and drop so that it changes start times. It would be nice if you could see the job history as well.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

We like the idea – if this idea gains traction, we’ll look into implementing something like this

17. Save and Export/Import sql monitor settings

Setting up custom alerts and servers is quite a bit of work. For example some jobs are more important than others. A different set of people get notified for some jobs. I have setup custom alert settings on many of the jobs this way. recently I had to move monitoring host to a different server and replicating same settings took me a lot of time. hence need ability to be able to export settings from one server and import to another. May be this will work through the monitoring database but I had to change the database from 2008 to…

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add number of alerts to browser tab

I always have SQL Monitor open as one of the tabs on my browser (Chrome). What might be useful is to change the text of the tab (only when it is set to Global Overview) to include the number of alerts (unread or uncleared I'm not sure.....) - much like if you have Gmail inbox open, then any unread items make the tab text "Gmail - inbox (1)'

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add alerting for replication performance

Include an alert to monitor replication performance. i.e based on the latency reading that you can view in Replication Monitor. The counters for this are "SQL Server Replication LogReader: Delivery Latency" and "SQL Server Replication Dist.: Delivery Latency". I'd like to be able to set the alert priority based on this.

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Alert on long I/O operation

Hosting Company raised an alert that there is absolutely no trace of as an issue according to SQL Monitor:

ALERT NAME: Rackspace - SQL I/O Error
    TIME: 6/22/2011 7:02:21 PM
    REASON:
    Event Description: SQL Server has encountered 174 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [M:\xcp_trans.mdf] in database [xcp_trans] (5). The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000BBC. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x000023b6d20000
    SEVERITY: CRITICAL

Please augment SQL Monitor to do the equivalent alerting.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

Custom metrics on sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats are the best way to get this today

• Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base