Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. Jobs in calender formart so you can see when they are all schedualed.

It would be nice if you could see all jobs on the server. Perhaps in a calender format so that you can see when they are schedualed. It would be nice if you could drag and drop so that it changes start times. It would be nice if you could see the job history as well.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

We like the idea – if this idea gains traction, we’ll look into implementing something like this

2. add the table schema to alerts

On that alert (fragmented index), you see a table name. It would be helpful to see the schema to which that table belongs.

Medium Fragmented indexes

Raised on: XXXXXXXX > RedGateMonitor
    Time raised: 26 Jun 2016 1:00 AM (UTC-04)
    Details
    Database name: RedGateMonitor

Total number of indexes: 332
    Indexes above fragmentation threshold: 3

Indexes last checked: 26 Jun 2016 1:00 AM
    Fragmented indexes:
    Index Table name Fragmentation(%) No. of pages
    ClusterSqlServerServerWaitsUnstableSamplesIdCollectionDate ClusterSqlServerServerWaitsUnstableSamples 96 1175
    ClusterSqlServerSqlProcessUnstableSamplesIdCollectionDate ClusterSqlServerSqlProcessUnstableSamples 96 3288
    ClusterSqlServerTopQueriesUnstableSamplesIdCollectionDate ClusterSqlServerTopQueriesUnstableSamples 99 1758

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I wish the mouse wheel did not automatically modify the date scale in the Analysis graph.

I can't count the number of times I have unintentionally messed up a graph with the mouse wheel. It is quite annoying to me.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Alert Stats on the new Cards

Those new cards look very nice, BUT, they do not show anything about the alerts raised on the instance!

That's a shocking omission, IMO.

Please add something that shows the alerts, like the old Overview page did, like counts by severity, with colors!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Click on CPU part of the server block on global dashboard (version 5.2) leads me to serveroverview instead of graph

I would suspect to go to the graph (analysis tab) after I click on the CPU part of a serverblock (in Global Dashboard), instead of the server overview

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Develop SQL Server Agent Job Status Alert

Add a new SQL Server Agent alert to monitor the status of a job. The ability to alert when a job is running longer than a specified time or has not run within a specified time. The current alert will only notify you after the job has stopped. This does not help when a job is hung.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. allow analysis graphs to update with realtime data without having to manually refresh them

We have SQLmonitor analysis graphs running on wallboards to show us data that is useful to us, but we continually need to click the button to "jump to present", as the timeline does not update as more data is collected to show the most recent history. We want the graph to move automatically to match the current time of day.
    Maybe a "play" button that would allow thye display to automatically refresh the graph along the timeline and a pause button should you want to drill deeper into a certain time period when investigating issues. Having the graph update automatically…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Save and Export/Import sql monitor settings

Setting up custom alerts and servers is quite a bit of work. For example some jobs are more important than others. A different set of people get notified for some jobs. I have setup custom alert settings on many of the jobs this way. recently I had to move monitoring host to a different server and replicating same settings took me a lot of time. hence need ability to be able to export settings from one server and import to another. May be this will work through the monitoring database but I had to change the database from 2008 to…

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Quick view of whether Agent is up on all monitored servers

If I go to the Configuration > Monitored servers tab, I can quickly see if all SQL Servers are up and running. It would be nice to also be able to quickly see if all SQL Server Agent services are up and running.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow trace to be set at the individual alert level and severity

SQL Trace can highly impact the performance of the server. I can't benefit from trace right now as it's set on any alert to launch a trace.

Other monitoring tools, for instance Sql Sentry, allow the individual alert to be configured with settings for trace.

For example: A long running job might benefit from a trace, while a "dbcc checkdb " hasn't been run in a long time should not trigger a trace. This increases storage and server load for no benefit.

Please look into allowing traces to be configured based on the alert AND the severity level defined on…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Control Alerts Using Metadata

CONTEXT: We have a maintenance and backup solution which uses SQL Server as a backend to determine what databases to perform the tasks against, and at what time.

PROBLEM: Some databases do not have maintenance tasks running against them, but still have alerts which appear in SQL Monitor for them (e.g. Index Fragmentation). I don't want to manually exclude these from SQL Monitor, as the number of databases fluctuates, particularly on our testing and development environments.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    - Provide a means of easily enabling/disabling/changing alerts dynamically using a stored procedure.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

For your usecase I recommend modifying the maintenance window metadata instead:

UPDATE s SET MW_IsEnabled = 1, —or 0 to enable alerts again MW_Start=0, —midnight MW_Duration=864000000000, —24 hours MW_Monday = 1, MW_Tuesday =1, MW_Wednesday=1, MW_Thursday=1, MW_Friday=1, MW_Saturday=1, MW_Sunday=1 FROM [settings].[SqlServers] s INNER JOIN [settings].[Clusters] c ON c.Id = s.ParentId WHERE c.Name = ‘hostname’ AND s.Name = ’’ —Set to SQL Server name or leave empty for unnamed instances

A restart of the base monitor service will be required after the change

12. Alert based upon trend data

We want to be able to alert when a value changes dramatically over a period of time. so if a system returns 110,105,112,40,38,52

to eye ball that on a graph I can see there is a problem, however that may be at the peak time of the day and 38 might be a reasonable value for in the middle of the night, so having a threshold of a low value is not appropriate, the comparison mode of query for this situation would report a change of
    -5,+7,-72,-2,+14

in here there is one large drop but then it is running stable,…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add alerting for replication performance

Include an alert to monitor replication performance. i.e based on the latency reading that you can view in Replication Monitor. The counters for this are "SQL Server Replication LogReader: Delivery Latency" and "SQL Server Replication Dist.: Delivery Latency". I'd like to be able to set the alert priority based on this.

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. In the Analysis tab, it would be better to have an option to change the font from grey (very hard to see) to black/dark blue or something

In the Analysis tab, it would be better to have an option to change the font from grey (very hard to see) to black/dark blue or something

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. comment markdown

CONTEXT: I use comments on alerts raised by SQL Monitor to document root cause of the triggered condition and resolution action.

PROBLEM: Comments only support plain-text. When creating/reviewing comments, it's often useful to add links for more detailed descriptions of the cause of the alerts, and links to ticketing systems for resolution steps. Simplified bulleting/numbering and bold/italicized text would also be helpful for breaking up monotonous text.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS: Add Markdown (http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/) support to addition/review of comments. A couple implementations for examples of usage:

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Analysis parsing of dates and multiple baselines using a text input search

Allow the analysis and other date filters to provide the option to paste and try parsing the date based on matching common patterns (maybe even allowing user to define options in config file).

For example, the standard SQL datetime2(0) of yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss pasted would convert to the date it parses.

Maybe even consider taking a page from the freaking great design Simple Bank has started applying which is a text based filter applying friendly syntax. I have found this incredibly useful.

They let you type in the search filter

"last 3 months"
    "last week"
    "date:1/1/2015-1/15/2015"
    "date:1/1/15-1/15/15"

and it immediate updates…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Configurable time for fragmented indexes alert run

I would like an GUI option to configure the time the alert fragmented indexes run instead of it being set at 1.00am Sunday morning

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

Note that this can set in the BaseMonitor .config file

18. Activity monitoring for DDL & DML

Add an element that will track all DML/DDL activity within a SQL Server instance and log this to a tamper proof archive. If linked to performance trends this can corrolate performance to T-SQL executed against the instance.

This has scope for aiding with Compliance with PCI-DSS & SoX.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow Fractional Alert Thresholds.

When you use the "Calculated rate of change" functionality on a custom metric, the results come back in fractional values and you should be able to alert on these values. In my case, I want to monitor number of orders for the last 10 minutes. There are always relatively few orders at night and many during the day, but if order flow drops off drastically in a short period of time, I want to know about it.

Unfortunately, I can't just alert when the rate of change drops by 25% (-.25) because alerts can only happen on integer values. 100%…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

A current workaround is to multiply the result by a factor, eg. 100 to make the result a percentage.

20. Option to filter(replace) sensitive SQL from alerts displayed/recorded

Similar regex functionality to how processes/queries can be excluded from an alert but to hide or better yet not record sensitive SQL/SQL fragments

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?