Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

207 results found

1. Have ability to sort list of databases on SQL Instance overview

It might be helpful to have the ability to sort these by name, esp. when this list happens to be quite long. It seems like under the current design they are sorted by database ID.

I have to scroll past 50+ db's to see the remaining info on the UI - can this be improved? Collapsing the list or adding some filtering, e.g. filter to limit to x# which is then changeable by page index, or filter by other than OK status

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Daniel Rothig responded

This list is sortable as of SQL Monitor 4.0 (it is also truncated by default, making it easier to scroll past it)

2. Include Stored Procedure performance

Include which stored procedures executed have high CPU, memory utilization, IO consumption. Also, include top wait types on Global Overview in addition to CPU and Memory

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The most performance-relevant stored procedures and ad-hoc queries can be inspected with the “Performance Diagnostics” feature on the Instance and Database Overview screens. This information is also replicated in the Performance section of the alert details pages

3. Alert when SQL Monitor is having a problem.

We have the SQL Monitor database located on a different server from the Base and Web Service. We had an instance where the SQL Server hosting the SQL Monitor database went down. When that server went down it failed to send us an alerts and we didn't know that SQL Monitor was having no problems as it wasn't sending out any email alerts to notify us that it couldn't connect to it's database. A nice fix would be to have SQL Monitor send an alert to notify us that it can't do it's job.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Turner responded

This can be set-up using the 'Send base monitor error emails to' field within the Email notification settings (see attached). SQL Monitor will send error emails to this email address if a base monitor experiences an error.

4. Block Specific Deadlocks by Lock Details

We've just updated to SQL Monitor 6. We was hoping there was a feature in this to change alert settings for Deadlocks with specific lock details rather than just all Deadklocks.

For example
    we don't want email alerts on: Deadlock 'object: ReportServerTempDB.dbo.SessionLock, lock mode: Exclusive (X), index: IDX_SessionLock

However we wish to receive emails when: Deadlock 'dbid: 6, object id: 72057594038845440, index id: (9bf78693a4b4)'

However this feature doesn't exist. Would be great to have added to an update in the near future!

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Adam responded

Thanks for this suggestion and the comments.

As previously announced, since version 8.0.22 (released November 13th, 2018) Deadlock (XE) alerts can now be filtered by database, login name & resource, and victimless (eg Exchange Event) deadlocks are excluded by default.

We are marking this as complete, but please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

5. Add previous/next navigation to Alert Details

On the Alert Details screen it would be extremely convenient to have the ability to navigate between issues within the same screen. Right now you have to either go back through all of the screens to get back to where you initially went to view the details of the alert, or use your browser's back button, which gives inconsistent behavior. This makes going through a high volume of alerts tedious and cumbersome.

This could be handled by something as simple as a "previous/next" buttons on the Alert Details screen. Something akin to the "oldest/older/newer/newest" buttons on the Alert Inbox screen.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have now implemented this suggestion in v3.1.

During our usability testing we found that ‘newer/older’ was less ambiguous than ‘previous/next’. Filters now persist on the Alert inbox until they are manually cleared, so you can navigate away and always return to the filtered alerts.

We’re interested to hear your feedback on this feature so please let us know at usability@red-gate.com. Thanks again for the suggestion and comments.

6. Select multiple counters for Analysis

It would be helpful to see and compare multiple counters for an object in the Analysis tab.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Priya Sinha responded

SQL Monitor v 3.3 has been released. This release contains ability to display multiple metrics in the same Analysis graph to identify correlations and unusual patterns of behavior more easily.

Thanks

7. Add mirroring monitoring

I may be wrong but I can't see that you have the capability for mirroring monitoring in the tool. This would make a more persuasive case for replacing Idera if this tool was included.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. See how alerts correlate in time

CONTEXT: When investigating an alert, it is useful to see what else has happened at the time. SQL Monitor gives detailed performance and query data with every alert details report, but doesn't show what other alerts have been raised at the time

PROBLEM: Sometimes alerts inform one another. E.g. a Long-running query can be caused by a blocked process, or a deadlock can cause a job failure. Alerts coinciding with the current one potentially help us to determine the root cause

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    • List time-correlated alerts when viewing alert details
    • See alerts over time on a graph
    •…

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Version 6.0 was released on August 30th, 2016 and contained a new Server Overview which shows alerts over time.

I am closing this as there have been no new comments since it was released. If you would like to see specific improvements to this feature, please raise a new suggestion.

Thanks,

9. Sort or Filter Monitored Servers

In Configuration -> Monitored servers I would like to sort and filter the servers and have the grouping functionality applied to this screen. This would make it easier to find my server that I want to put a maintenance window on.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. It would be grand if I could change the time format.. 12 hour clocks just don't sit right with me.

It would be grand if I could change the time format.. 12 hour clocks just don't sit right with me.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have just released version 6.0.7 and this update means the clock can now be displayed in either 12 or 24 hour format – this can be toggled at Configuration > Display settings.

Thanks for your patience.

11. Show deadlock alerts using the deadlock graph

Display deadlocks alerts in a more graphical and easier to understand way.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. Version 8.0.2 uses extended events to display graphs for the deadlocks.

We will close this suggestion, but please do add another suggestion if there are further improvements you would like to see.

Kind regards,

12. get a report on my server inventory

For MSFT licensing purposes, I would like to have a report from SQL Monitor across all my registered servers that tells me enough information to work out my licensing requirements. For example, which version of SQL Server is installed, which edition, how many CPUs it is installed for, any information about the Windows licensing, whether it is on a virtual machine (and how many sockets, etc) ... you get the idea.

Currently, the reports only allow for a very limited amount of information to be added, and they have to be in summary tiles or charts. Maybe this could be…

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The SQL Server Licensing page within the ‘Estate’ section (see attached) shows licensing information for monitored servers.

13. Allow configuration -> monitored servers to have configurable retries and wait timeouts.

We have a vpn between our sqlmonitor and several of our sql servers. I'm not sure how often sqlmonitor will retry or wait between retries when that vpn is unavailable due to any number of reasons. When the monitoring becomes unavailable, I would like to be able to allow sql monitor to retry every X seconds for up to X hours or X times as it attempts to reconnect.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As of SQL Monitor 5.0, the retry logic is much more robust, and most users have reported no more issues with SQL Monitor reconnecting

14. be able to report on deadlocks

Add the possibility to report on deadlocks. The information is stored in the database as an alert but it's currently not possible to report on alerts.

I'd like to see the occurrence of deadlocks over time, per database,...

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

A tile showing the top 5 most commonly occurring types of deadlock grouped by the pattern of locking within the deadlock is now available within 'Reports'.

15. Create an Iphone app with a heatmap for the alerts. As well as an improved Analysis screen where you can select/combine/mix multiple metrics

Create an Iphone/android app with a heatmap for the alerts. As well as an improved Analysis screen where you can select/combine/mix multiple metrics

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add option for more detailed email alert

It would be good if there were more detail levels of mail alerts.
    Example: I would like to see not only block process, but also which database and object; In case of failover, I would like to see both nodes failed and active ....

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Priya Sinha responded

SQL Monitor V 3.3. has now released. This release contains improved subject lines and message bodies of alert emails to help you quickly understand problems before logging in to SQL Monitor.

Thanks,

17. Historical graph of how one query/Stored procedure is performing now compared to 2 months back

Choose from top 50 of worst queries and check what is the difference now compared to the stats in the past in graphical view and create custom reports with graphical view

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. A graph showing a query’s history was added to the Server Overview Top Queries table in Version 7.1.11 in November 2017. This allows you to see a query’s performance over time, view its execution count, duration, reads, and writes, and the points in time a query’s plan changed.

We will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have other specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

18. See on the overview page incase of a AlwaysOn or a windows cluster which node is the active\primary

We have several windows clusters and AlwaysOn clusters. It would be very helpful to see on the overview page which node is active.

It can be easily done by adding a color to the AG icon on the tile.

I know that it can be seen on the cluster overview but I really think it belongs on the Overview page.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I would like to see a better dashboard view

One where I can see a cumulative report of ALL of the instances being monitored with average totals for cpu/memory/disks utilization, across them all. Average success to failure ratios for Scheduled jobs (backups).

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We implemented a new global dashboard in the 5.2 release, which shows an overview of all instances on one screen.

20. Check both full and differential backups for the overdue alert

As it is, the backup overdue alert will not check if a differential backup has been run.

Example: We have a database with simple recovery model that is set up to make a FULL backup every week, and a differential backup every day. If the alert level is set to "more than one day" then it will be triggered even though the diff backup has been run, indicating that it is not overdue.

We could set (and do that) the alert level to check only for "more than 7 days", but then we will not be notified if a diff…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion, and apologies for not updating sooner.

We believe this was solved when the Differential Backup Overdue alert was added in Version 8.0.7 (May 2018) . This alert is raised when entries for a differential or full backup in the [msdb].[dbo].[backupset] system table are older than the time you specify.

We will mark this as completed but please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,
    The SQL Monitor Development Team

• Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base