Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

In SQL Monitor, I want to...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add 2017 CU14 to Estate view

Currently SQL Monitor shows the latest SQL Server 2017 version to be CU13 yet the latest is CU14. This should show the latest version.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In the Estate view you are 2 CU's behind for SQL Server 2016.

Currently SQL Monitor shows the latest SQL Server 2016 version to be SP2 CU4 yet the latest is SP2 CU6. This should show the latest version.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Read Only users should not view Analysis page.

When restricting "Read Only" users they can still see all servers when viewing the "Analysis" page. I think this should also exclude any servers not explicitly defined in the Managed Users page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. This has been fixed in Version 9.0.6 (although I would suggest updating to the most recent version, v9.0.7 at time of writing) when we fixed the issue SRP-11791: AD user can see names of servers they don’t have access to fixed for Analysis and Backups.

Hopefully this completes this suggestion.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

4. Remove wait type VDI_CLIENT_OTHER from the wait graph

SQL Monitor shows high waits for SQL Server 2016+ systems that implement availability groups configured for automatic seeding. Since a multiple system processes called VDI_CLIENT_WORKER are left running by design. This wait tends to be the top wait in an AG configuration and erroneously indicates a problem that does not really exist.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New Licensing for Azure SQL Databases

If you are going to start licensing by the number of Azure SQL Databases, at least provide the option of adding and removing databases from the Azure SQL Server.
    I have three databases on one Azure SQL Server that are costing me licenses, however two are data warehouses and one is paused. If they are not being monitored, why am I being charged for a license?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this suggestion.

The ability to add/remove individual licenses for Azure SQL Databases has been implemented in version 8.0.22, released on 13th November.

We hope this meets your requirements and will mark this suggestion as completed, but please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,

6. PLEASE PUT BACK THE OPTION TO SELECT MULTIPLE ALERTS

is anyone as frustrated as I am about the removal of selecting multiple alerts and adding a comment in one swoop?

At least make it an admin option so that it can be turned on or off

We are wasting so much time every day trying to clear alerts and it is unproductive

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for letting us know this was important to your workflow.

Version 8.0.23 has now been released and includes the return of the ability to add comments to multiple alerts.

This was initially removed while developing the ability to group alerts, and it’s taken us longer than expected to reintroduce – apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

We hope this solves this suggestion so will mark it as completed.

7. Comment multiple alerts at once

I would like the ability to add the same comment to all of my selected alerts before clearing them in the Alert Inbox.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion.

Version 8.0.23 has now been released and includes the return of the ability to add a comment to multiple alerts.

This was initially removed while developing the ability to group alerts, and it’s taken us longer than expected to reintroduce – apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

We hope this solves this suggestion. We’ll mark it as completed, but please do reply if you have any further feedback.

8. Comment multiple alerts at once

I would like the ability to add the same comment to all of my selected alerts before clearing them in the Alert Inbox.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Version 8.0.23 has now been released and includes the return of the ability to add comments to multiple alerts.

We hope this solves this suggestion. We’ll mark it as completed, but please do reply if you have any further feedback.

9. reports timespan options

Please add 14days as the timespan in the dropdown for the reports

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for this suggestion.

We have added a button to the query plan that allows the full in-truncated text to be copied to clipboard.

We hope this improvement solves the suggestion so will mark it as completed. Please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,

11. See last backup of each type in Overview page

Currently the backup section in a database on the overview page shows the backups that happened in the selected range, and it only shows the last backup of each type that happens. We have a database that does full backups once a week and then differentials.

It would be helpful at a glance to see the status of the last backup of each type regardless of if it happened in the time window or not. Maybe hide the last differential if it happened before the last full.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have redesigned the Backups information to more clearly show the selected range it refers to, and also show when the last backups occurred prior to that. This can be seen in the latest version (8.0.25)

We hope this improvement completes the suggestion and will mark it as completed. Do let us know if you have any further feedback

12. Prompted for update to version 8.0.12 but website is a dead end

The "update" link in the SQL monitor console takes me to a "learn more" page with no link to an update EXE. I am referred to a zip file with a SQLBundle EXE which doesn't contain the Monitor, or an outdated version of SQL Monitor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exclude databases with state = 1 (RESTORING) in page verification alert

During a restore the page verification alert gets triggered, even when the database has CHECKSUM page verification. Please exclude database with state = 1 (RESTORING) in this alert! Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Version 9.0.4 has now been released and the Page Verification Alert will no longer alert when a database is being restored.

We hope this works as you expected and will mark this as complete, but please do let us know if you have any further comments.

Kind regards,

14. Database File Usage Alert - Autogrowth

Database File Usage Alert : Please consider autogrowth! So far, this alert is of no help.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

SQL Monitor v7.1.18 added an option to disable database file usage alerts when autogrowth is enabled. The setting can be found on the configuration screen for the database file usage alert.

Thanks for helping us improve this feature with your suggestion.

15. Add a "Check for updates" link in the About section

Alternative for when you've clicked away the "new version available" notification

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add more narrow time intervals in Reports

We are using the reports part of SQL Monitor to show them on a TV screen in a proactive way and we find this very helpful.

Now we have a question, would it be possible to include more narrow intervals like 6 h, 2 h and 30 min in the reports?
    Because even if we lower the reports to 12 h and has auto refresh every 1 min it’s kind of hard to see and react on the spikes in the graphs.
    An example can be seen in the attached fil - Batch request/sec report, it’s hard to spot the…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Link executions of top 10 queries

I had an issue with a query that runs slow every other day. For a specific slow day I could find it in the top 10 queries. I'd like to be able to easily compare the days when it was previously executed . I did manage this by opening a new tab to select the fast day - the query was hard to find as there were many other queries in the top 10 on the fast day. I'd like to be able to lock in on a specific query and monitor the server/query stats at the time/duration of previous…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. A graph showing a query’s history was added to the Server Overview Top Queries table in Version 7.1.11 in November 2017. This allows you to see a query’s performance over time, view its execution count, duration, reads, and writes, and the points in time a query’s plan changed.

We will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have other specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

18. Please remove the 20 character size limitation from the Alias feature

Given that actual server named instances can be longer than 20 characters (even if they are truncated on the display), it makes no sense to limit an alias to 20 characters. Please significantly extend this limitation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Version 7.1.5 has now increased the character limit for server aliases.

I’ll mark this as completed, but please let me know if this fix doesn’t meet your requirements.

Kind regards,

19. Missing database name in blocking session alert

When I receive an alert about a blocking session, it does not tell me the database. The mail starts with e.g.

Blocking Session ID: 93
    Number of blocked descendants: 1
    Total blocking duration for all descendants: 00:03:02
    Blocking SQL fragment: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo]...

In the subsequent blocks (blocked sessions) it shows the corresponding database name, but only after much of scrolling, when the block cames from a long procedure (some with > 1000 lines).

So please add the database name to the blocking session part too.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Monitor a failover cluster in Azure

I have two failover clusters in Azure using ClusterSharedVolume storage, migrated from terrestrial clusters.
    I've been using SQL Monitor to monitor all aspects of these clusters but now I've migrated to Azure, the monitor can't connect (I believe it's to do with the inability to ping the cluster load balancer in Azure).
    I'm sure, as more and more of us migrate to cloud services, that covering an Azure cluster would be most welcome.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Monitor versions 7.1.6 and above support SQL Server Failover Cluster Instances and AlwaysOn Availability Groups hosted in Azure.

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm7/configuring-sql-monitor/adding-and-configuring-servers/adding-servers-to-monitor/adding-servers-on-a-different-network-from-your-base-monitor

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm7/configuring-sql-monitor/adding-and-configuring-servers/adding-servers-to-monitor/monitoring-sql-server-failover-cluster-instances-and-alwayson-availability-groups-hosted-in-azure-iaas

There are lots of ways in which Azure clusters can be configured, so If you’d like to suggest how we could improve the feature, please drop us a line at sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com

Thanks,
    Adam

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base