Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. Top 50 Queries should ignore queries that runs with explicit "waitfor"

The query that runs with explicit "waitfor" should not be included in the top 50 query report.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Email queuing

Basically, I would like email to queue up in SQL Monitor. In the event an email fails to send (account locked out, mail server down, etc), having the email just fail to send is not the desired result. When problems are resolved, the email should send.
    For example, lets say IT is doing scheduled maintenance on the email server and during that window one of the SQL instances shuts itself down due to an error (for arguments sake, lets say out of disk). SQL Monitor will see it go offline and try to send out the alert but fail because…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to not monitor/show certain queries in the TOP 50 list.

The top 50 query view in SQL monitor is showing the query that is running on the service broker queue with explicit waitfor statement. In our server these waitfor is 5 min and we have 100 threads that runs for 5 minute and wait for the messages in the queue.
    The query monitor shows these query as the top slow performing queries, but in reality these are not slow queries, they are just waiting for messages in the queue. We need a way to not show up the queries in top 50 list, so the queries that are actually slow…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Monitoring of Windows Server Failover Cluster

We would like to have the option to monitor Windows Server Failover Clusters as an integrated part of SQL Monitor. Considering that over 50% of our infrastructure is implemented as Always On High Availability Groups, operating on WSFC, we would like to have monitoring and alerts if something on WSFC level goes wrong such as a node disconnecting, a File Share Witness going down, errors reported in the WSFC console etc... At the moment, if something happens at WSFC, such as loosing quorum due to a file share witness going down, we are not being alerted and will not know…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. AWS FSx drive status

In our company we are using AWS FSx drives for our SQL Server databases. The FSx drives are not real drives, they are more like a shared folder, I'm wondering if there is a way to add those drives on SQL Monitor so we can check disk space and get alerts. AWS has been adding more features for FSx drives to be used on SQL Servers. Right now the only way to monitor that is using AWS console or alerts, which are not very friendly and only available for some system administrators.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Testing the Availability Group listener(s)

If an Availability Group listener is not working for any reason (like no DNS resolution), but the ressource is still up in the cluster, SQL Monitor will not raise any alert.

Could you add a specific test for SQL monitor to test the connection using the availability group listener(s) and raise an alert if not successful?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow Job Name to be used for Long-running query alert exclusion

For a Long-running query alert, the Job Name is being collected but cannot easily be used for avoiding specific alerts from being triggered.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add database changes details based on the zoom range

In the "Databases" section when selecting one, we would like to have a list of the database changes that happened based on the "zoom range" period.

Right now I'm thinking based on the SQL Server error log

Example:
    1 - Database Status changed. Online/Offline/Read-Only/Read-Write/etc
    2 - Compatibility Level changed - This will be great to co-relate some situations with the CL change.
    3 - Page Verify
    Etc

In the end, any message that uses any of these texts:
    SELECT * FROM sys.messages
    WHERE text like '%Setting database%'

This includes query store changes

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. “Longest Running Queries” in Redgate SQL Monitor Reports

I need to show more “Longest Running Queries” in Redgate SQL Monitor Reports. The layout of the report is also a bit awkward, it seems if everything does not fit into the report.
    See attachment.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add more visibility to captured system processes

A view of all system processes is available whenever an alert is clicked. It would be nice to get the same view of system processes with their CPU and memory consumption for a specified time even of there is no alert to click on at that time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add day name(sat, sun, mo etc) of date to analysis screen

Add the day name of date to analysis screen.

Currently only the date and time is displayed on the graph lines dots.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. In the Analysis tab, it would be better to have an option to change the font from grey (very hard to see) to black/dark blue or something

In the Analysis tab, it would be better to have an option to change the font from grey (very hard to see) to black/dark blue or something

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow trace to be set at the individual alert level and severity

SQL Trace can highly impact the performance of the server. I can't benefit from trace right now as it's set on any alert to launch a trace.

Other monitoring tools, for instance Sql Sentry, allow the individual alert to be configured with settings for trace.

For example: A long running job might benefit from a trace, while a "dbcc checkdb " hasn't been run in a long time should not trigger a trace. This increases storage and server load for no benefit.

Please look into allowing traces to be configured based on the alert AND the severity level defined on…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I wish the mouse wheel did not automatically modify the date scale in the Analysis graph.

I can't count the number of times I have unintentionally messed up a graph with the mouse wheel. It is quite annoying to me.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Expand lower section of overview window

I would like the ability to expand the sections in the lower portion of the overview window or break them out into separate windows. For example, when viewing the Top 10 Queries or Waits it is very difficult because there is not enough room. Also because the individual tabs scroll separately from the main window, scrolling is a pain. The top graph section shrinks, but it still takes up too much screen area. Being able to break out in individual sections or expand them to fill the screen would be very helpful.

See attached screenshot for an example.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Detect Unsupported SQL Server Versions When Upgrading Versions

I was running v4 with a MSSQL 2005 database and decided to upgrade to v6. The installer finished successfully, however when it took me to the Web App page, there was a warning that the database upgrade did not complete successfully. The reported error was "Cannot assign a default value to a local variable". I knew right away it was a problem with my old SQL Server version. I checked the forums and indeed, 2005 is no longer supported with version 6. I understand that, and have no problem with it. However, ya'll would have saved me the headache of…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow users access to view specific reports

Currently I create a few reports for different business areas and e-mail them daily. It would be really useful if they could follow the link on the page and view their reports only without having access to the site in general. They could then use the report filters.
    Another idea would be to be able to create a reports page with a static link where I could put several different reports, users would have access to this page only and be able to view any reports created in real time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. monitor specific services status and specific event logs entrys

this would really be useful to monitor specific windows services status and related event log entry's (even filtering them would be nice)

specially since the is no other way to monitor microsoft dynamics nav (navision)
    sql part is helpful but when the problem are on the nav service tiers or schedulers theres no way to check than manually.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. View transaction log

Have ability to view and possibly generate recovery scripts from the transaction log

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. On the Overview screen, collapse AlwaysOn clusters into a single tile

I have quite a few AlwaysOn groups, with 3 servers as part of the group. SQL Monitor very cleverly takes the cluster name and adds all 3 servers to the monitoring list ... HOWEVER, on the Overview screen, they show as individual servers. It would be good if I could collapse that all down into one tile that shows an overall health of the group. I realize this is a different situation from an FCI because there can be multiple 'active' nodes, but it would be good if SQL Monitor understood that I added an AG listener server list and…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions