Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — the Redgate Monitor team will often stay quiet initially about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

208 results found

1. Email reports monthly

I just upgraded to SQL Monitor V7 and it's great being able to have custom metrics in reports. We have a metric that records how many customers are notified in a monthly process (runs overnight on the 1st of the month). We need a way to send out this report via email on the 1st of every month (current options are only to send it weekly)

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Adam responded

The ability to email reports on a monthly schedule has now been released.

Please make a new suggestion if there are any areas of the reporting you think could be improved.

Kind regards,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

2. set the default email recipient per level

I'd like to be able to override the default email recipient "per level", in the same way alerts can be configured.

This would make it much easier to manage in a case where monitoring responsibilities are delegated for a specific server or group of servers.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Sortable System Processes Grid

On the Alert Details page, it would be nice if I could sort the grid under the "System Processes" tab. It currently shows processes sorted alphabetically by name. I would like to sort it by CPU or memory utilization to see top consumers. I currently have to copy the data to a spreadsheet to do that.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This suggestion, allowing the system processes grid in alert details to be sortable, was completed in Version 6.0.18 – apologies for not updating at the time.

Thanks for the suggestion – please reply if you feel it needs further attention.

Kind regards

4. suspend

Hi,
    I think it's very important to show Suspended status of a monitored host/instance should be shown in dashboard.
    I had suspended monitoring on an instance and forgot to resume so I've missed monitoring for a while.
    I suggest to show the state of monitoring (Active or Suspended) maybe graphically/iconic, in the dashboard and Server overview pages

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Historical graph of how one query/Stored procedure is performing now compared to 2 months back

Choose from top 50 of worst queries and check what is the difference now compared to the stats in the past in graphical view and create custom reports with graphical view

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. A graph showing a query’s history was added to the Server Overview Top Queries table in Version 7.1.11 in November 2017. This allows you to see a query’s performance over time, view its execution count, duration, reads, and writes, and the points in time a query’s plan changed.

We will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have other specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

6. improve speed when navigating through the GUI

It takes quite sometime to navigate across the screens on V6.0 would be a welcome relief if we have performance improvement on the UI

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for raising your suggestion. We’ve made a number of performance improvements over recent releases. Whilst we will continue to make improvements, hopefully this meets your expectation regarding this suggestion, so I will close this issue.

If you have any specific issues or suggestions around performance, please reply to this or raise another UserVoice suggestion so we can investigate.

Thanks
    Adam

7. I want to be able to document in SQL Monitor why an alert is set a certain way.

On the alert configuration screen for any alert, at any level I would like to see a comment type box where I can enter in the box the reason the alert is set as it is.

For example if I have disabled the backup overdue alert for a particular database I would like to be able to save that reason in this comment box. Or if I have changed the disk space usage for a particular drive on a server different than the default I want to be able to document the reason why.

I want to see this box…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion, it makes sense to want to record why certain configuration changes have been made.

We released this enhancement in version 8.0.10 (in July this year – apologies for delay in updating this suggestion).

I will mark this suggestion as Completed, but please do reply if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,

8. Sort or Filter Monitored Servers

In Configuration -> Monitored servers I would like to sort and filter the servers and have the grouping functionality applied to this screen. This would make it easier to find my server that I want to put a maintenance window on.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add AM PM or military time to alert times since they aren't listed

Process login time: 3 Nov 2016 09:00
    Query start time: 3 Nov 2016 09:00
    Would either want them in military time, or listed w/ AM PM so I know when they occurred

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing as this has been available since 6.0.7
    You can find this option on Configuration > Display settings. Please let us know if this is not working as you expect.
    Thanks

10. See more detail on Failed Agent Jobs

Present the detailed Step error message for Agent Job Failures. Currently shows the Job message, but not the error from the step that actually failed. This requires the user to open SSMS and drill down to find what caused the failure, instead of getting a head start from SQL Monitor.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion and votes. This was completed in version 7.1.2. I will close this – please let us know if you believe there are further improvements we could make.

Kind regards,

11. to see 24-hour clock affecting times on graphs

I see the setting and it is set and in most places it is used but not in the time axis on graphs in analysis.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have just released version 7.1.3, available from Check for Updates, which fixes this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, and for your patience,

Adam

12. Allow option to exclude Integrity Check Overdue Alert for read only databases

An alert configuration option should allow
    a database status to be checked when querying for last good integrity checks and read_only databases could be excluded from the alert. Even when integrity checks are performed on read only databases, the last checked date is not updated resulting in unnecessary alerts in most cases.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Disable Chat functionality

It would be nice to have an Option to disable the built in chat functionality. I understand this is a quick easy method for obtaining feedback from the user community. The issue I have is that this is not an "Approved Chat Client" according to my info sec unit.

Having the ability to turn it off allows me to satisfy their requirements while still allowing this to be enabled for other users to quickly interact and provide feedback to RedGate.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After upgrading to SQL Monitor 6.0.8 or later you can now disable the intercom chat feature.

After upgrading navigate to the following file C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor\Web\Website\web.config

and amend the line

intercom enabled=“true”

to be false, then restart the website.

Further details can be found here:
    https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=80218&sid=76afdd87b11da381fcb31901d658270a#p143776

Thanks for your patience with this issue,

14. Block Specific Deadlocks by Lock Details

We've just updated to SQL Monitor 6. We was hoping there was a feature in this to change alert settings for Deadlocks with specific lock details rather than just all Deadklocks.

For example
    we don't want email alerts on: Deadlock 'object: ReportServerTempDB.dbo.SessionLock, lock mode: Exclusive (X), index: IDX_SessionLock

However we wish to receive emails when: Deadlock 'dbid: 6, object id: 72057594038845440, index id: (9bf78693a4b4)'

However this feature doesn't exist. Would be great to have added to an update in the near future!

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion and the comments.

As previously announced, since version 8.0.22 (released November 13th, 2018) Deadlock (XE) alerts can now be filtered by database, login name & resource, and victimless (eg Exchange Event) deadlocks are excluded by default.

We are marking this as complete, but please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,

15. Relative-day maintenance windows

Rackspace maintenance days revolve around, for example, "Default week - Wednesday - 02:00 to 04:00", where "default week" is established in the service contract. That can change to early-week or (I forget the name) "late-week".

Current SQL Monitor Maintenance Windows are wholly inadequate to record a "Default week is 2nd week of each month, maintenance on that week's Wednesday, at (the time period)".

Without this, my PagerDuty Alerts go berserk during maintenance windows, and shy of having someone go and suspend monitoring at 2 in the morning and remember to turn it back on, it just keeps on sending out…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Turner responded

Thanks for this suggestion. SQL Monitor 10 now allows teams to suppress alerts, or just their notifications, over certain periods using alert suppression windows. Please see What’s New in SQL Monitor 10 for more details (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-monitor/whats-new-in-sql-monitor-10).

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as completed. Please raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,

SQL Monitor product team

16. Don't bloat plan cache

Fix this query so the nvarchar() parm is of a fixed size (or MAX). As is, each invocation is generating its own execution plan and bloating the plan cache.

(@p0 bigint,@p1 bigint,@p2 nvarchar(560))INSERT INTO [data].[ClusterSqlServerTopQueriesInstances] ([Id], [CollectionDate], [QueryText]) VALUES (@p0, @p1, @p2)

(@p0 bigint,@p1 bigint,@p2 nvarchar(159))INSERT INTO [data].
    [ClusterSqlServerTopQueriesInstances] ([Id], [CollectionDate], [QueryText]) VALUES (@p0, @p1, @p2)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed in v6.0.3
    Thanks again for the suggestion, we appreciate your input.

17. "CLEARED" alerts button should be renamed to "CLEAR".

On the alerts screen, there is an option to select alerts. If you want to clear the alerts selected you hit the button labeled "CLEARED".

Having the button marked "CLEARED" is confusing because it implies that the button is a filter rather than an action. It should be labeled "CLEAR" so you know you are performing an action.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion.

We agree the labels were confusing so this was fixed in version 8.0.2 in March (apologies for delay in updating) when the new inbox was released. The button now reads ‘Clear’ as you suggested.

Thanks again,

18. SQL Monitor 5.2.5 upgrade dashboard server/SQL Server memory

Upon upgrading from 5,1 to 5.2.5 the new Global Dashboard no longer shows machine memory vs. memory being consumed by SQL Server. Why was this removed? This can be critical to see if SQL Server or any other process is using up all of the servers memory.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. Apologies for not closing this sooner as it was completed a long time ago; we did agree that we should show machine memory vs. SQL Server memory and this is shown on the Server Overview memory chart.

Thanks,

19. Navigation for "rewind time" shouldn't hide navigation buttons

The navigation controls for "rewind time" autohide when actively using this feature. Please consider enabling until "live" is chosen again to simplify operation to move back and forth in time increments.

Issue submitting first time. if duplicate please close.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing this because the v6 server overviews no longer have this particular time control so hopefully this bug is no longer relevant.

20. On the main dashboard please maintain a consistent ordering.

Dashboard element sorting should be fixed preferably in alphabetical order. The whole idea of a dashboard should be to provide an at a glance view of the state of your server set. When you change the order from servername when all is green to some other order because something has triggered an alert on a server I have to spend extra time figuring out which server has an issue because the sort order has changed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Version 6.0.11 has now been released and amongst the enhancements is the ability to fix the servers in alphabetical order (Oder by: Name).

If you have any feedback, email sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com

Thanks,

• Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base