Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. Utilize SQL (or SQL-like) statements in filters.

Utilize SQL (or SQL-like) statements in the filters, specifically on the Overview tab to filter on server name. For example: '%sql%' AND '%prod%'
    Currently you can only do 1 fuzzy logic search. Also, you cannot search just by one character.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. ignore events triggered from SIEM vulnerability scanners..

when we run a vulnerability scan on our SQL servers we get a lot of redgate alerts, i know you can setup to ignore certain alerts and have a maintenance window but ignoring the alerts isn't an option (what if its actually a hack) and the maintenance window is dangerous for obvious reasons.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Change Processor Utilization per instance

Currently i have 4 instances which are part of an availability group and run maintenance as various times. although different maintenance windows would be nice to have the flexibility of changing Processor Utilization per instance rather than per cluster.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Custom disk alerts in a cluster is lost when instance is moved to a new host

We often use customized disk alerts for larger disks i.e. instead of using the default alerts we might configure a High alert at 200 GB and a medium at 250 GB.

These custom alerts is not set on the instance level so when we move the instance to a new host the custom alerts will not follow the instance and the alert has to be set up again.

As our largest cluster is 9 node cluster with 23 instances and 3 disk each this cause us to configure these alerts at a maximum of 621 instead of 69 times. That…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Exclude individual databases entirely from scope

There are some databases (including the RedGateMonitor database) that i do not want to see reported with alerts. I want the ability to omit certain databases entirely from the scope of monitoring and leave all other databases on that machine in the scope of monitoring/alerts.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Report Poller Error - turn off the PFUR

There is an administrative event error in windows event log occurring every minute or less. This error is unrelated to report poller and is product feature usage reporting (PFUR) unsuccessfully reporting back to redgate. I have been assured this message is harmless, but I think anything that is happening every minute on the server is bound to have some detrimental effect.

Please add a feature to turn off this usage reporting.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Wider parameters for reports

Incorporate ability to run reports for a group of monitored servers for a longer duration. For example: Report of unreachable status on 12 different servers for the past year.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support 3rd party HA tools such as DxEnterprise

3rd party HA tools such as DxEnterprise allow for failover of a virtual host (VHOST) from one Server (virtual or physical) to another in the event something happens to the VHOST. In the failover process, it will pull all of the associated disks along with the VHOST to the new machine it is going to be hosted on. If RedGate SQL Monitor is configured to monitor the physical server, things work well until you need to fail over. Then you get alerts of disk changing from 20% free to 0 bytes free and the failed-over SQL instance(s) are no longer…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Alternate color background on dashboard server groups

Could you add some alternating color background to different server groups on the overview dashboard so the swimlanes are much easier to distinguish

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Alert for Available Space on Backup Disk

There is a configurable alert for when disk space assigned to a logical disk reaches a threshold but not an alert for backup disk assigned to a disk other than the logical disk.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Configure Alert-Ended messages at alert type level

in the global settings I can configure, that I want to receive deescalation mails when an alert ended (e.g. CPU went back to normal, Server available again ...).

For many alerts this makes sense, but for other alerts not so much or not for everybody (e.g. deadlock alerts, the custom failed-logins alert, job-failed alerts...).

So it would be nice, if I could configure this (as most other options) at least at alert type level or better down on group / server / database etc.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Monitor Backups LSNs in Always On Availability Groups

With Always on Availability Groups, Error is... Log backup for database "XXX" on a secondary replica failed because the last backup LSN from the primary database is greater than the current local redo LSN. And SQL Monitor cannot check for this. I would like to see if SQL monitor can catch it before the Azure Backup Vault fails to backup every 15 minutes.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Be able to monitor Basic Availability Groups. Currently Basic Availability Groups are not supported

Be able to monitor Basic Availability Groups. Currently Basic Availability Groups are not supported

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It would be nice to be able to exclude names of databases to be backed up instead of un clicking them one at a time .

It would be nice to be able to exclude names of databases to be backed up instead of un clicking them one at a time .
    This should be similar to the long running queries where you have the option to exclude.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Be able to customize alerts by job

I would like to be able to customize alerts by job. For instance, I have many jobs that run multiple times per hour. If it fails once or twice, I don't want to be alerted about it. However, if it fails 3+ times in a row, I want to be alerted.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Include more details regarding a disk space usage/free report

What I'm looking for is that for today, the D: drive is this filesize, e.g. 500gb. Once the report runs again the following week, it is 505 gb and so on. Then it would summarize that there is a differential of 5 gb which is the growth.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Overview - Drill-through ability on Splits/sec to the Queries causing it

So we get to the "Analysis" page when clicking on a peak in the Page Splits/sec graph. But that tells me the same thing, in larger form, but not the root cause...

It's the root cause of 20K/sec I'm after... So, please give us the CHOICE of drill-through, to the responsible queries grid, or some other place. It's only useful if the ACTUAL queries causing the splits are listed, not just a repetition of the top-10.

Thanks.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. know who ran SQL Compare and what changed

within SQL Monitor when it flags that SQL Compare ran, it would be good to be able to see who ran the job and what was changed. Currently the job is flagged in SQL Monitor but there seems to be no further details other than what database it ran on.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Show current RPO

Show current backup RPO and allow us to click the graph to see specific databases under each RPO grouping (>15 minutes, >30 minutes, etc).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Cluster Roles that have been renamed should no longer have an entry with the old name

Over the last year and a half I have migrated several SQL FCI's to new windows clusters, new hardware, windows and SQL versions. To accomplish this with minimal downtime I had to setup the cluster roles ahead of time with everything ready to go prior to doing a final tlog backup/restore and rename of the cluster instances. This has worked well for us however SQL Monitor creates a new server record when the instance is renamed and never gets rid of the original name of the the new instance. This has left me with SQL Monitor still showing this nonexistent…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?