Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. add user editable notes in estate

Add the ability to add some basic text notes for each instance that can be viewed in the estate view. Want to keep some basic notes such as purpose of instance, application server dependencies, etc. Currently use external document to keep track of these.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. see if a query plan is taken from a plan guide

When displaying the query plan through the "View query plan" button under query details it would be great to have an indication if this query plan was a result of a plan guide.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. export metrics data to csv (or table) with configurable granularity and option to get cumulative data

The analysis page allows exporting data to csv for a certain metric, e.g., a database counter, but we cannot control the granularity nor whether data for all databases should be cumulative or not.

I would like to get data with the granularity produced by the 15 minute time range, i.e. seconds, but for a larger date range and preferably cumulative for all databases or a set of databases.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Please add the icon for machine type (VM/Azure/Physical) on the main screen display.

Currently you have to click on the machine to display the icon to see if it is a VM or physical machine.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select Database

Select Database

When Selected Instance And Add For Monitoring . I can not Selected/Unselected Database For Monitoring.
    If possible, add this feature.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Customize Email Alert Subject Line

Subject lines can be used to route alerts effectively - allow customization of variables in subject

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Activity monitor is showing "Blocked By" sessions that are not showing up in SQL Monitor

Is there an issue with the blocking information in SQL Monitor or are there certain types of blocks that are excluded? We are seeing blocks displayed in the SSMS Activity Monitor that are not being displayed on the SQL Monitor Overview page for Blocked Processes.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Display total memory for memory graphs on summary screens

The memory graph on the summary screen does not always show the total memory on the screen. It shows what is being used, but I have no idea how much is free.

I have attached a file showing one one of my servers that has 128GB of total memory. However, the graph only shows 75GB and it makes it look like most of the memory is consumed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Auto hide Menu and Filter bar

When in TV/Overview mode (dashboard), It would be nice to get the full real estate on the TV/Monitor to show as many server tiles as posible, hence auto hiding the top menu and filter bar. with a dropdown button (show button) on the top right side of the server tile area. (shown in the image associated).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Assign user to an event

It would be helpful if we could assign a User to an event, just like comments, so when you login, you could switch to a view that holds assigned events that someone wants you to look at.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. filter the queries to see in the top queries and long running queries section

In top queries and long running queries section, I can see the queries executed by the db system but I want to filter out such queries.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Alerts for suspect_pages

We would like to see alerts for suspected pages.

Errors Recorded in suspect_pages Table

The suspectpages table contains one row per page that failed with an 824 error, up to a limit of 1,000 rows. The following table shows errors logged in the eventtype column of the suspect_pages table.

Error description eventtype value
    823 error caused by an operating system CRC error or 824 error other than a bad checksum or a torn page (for example, a bad page ID) 1
    Bad checksum 2
    Torn page 3
    Restored (The page was restored after it was marked bad)

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow users to specify the time period in minutes for the top 10 expensive queries

I would like to specify that exact minutes on the slider for Top Queries. Currently you can only do a 15-minute change. But I would like to be able to do that down to a minute range. Sometimes we make a change and I don't want to wait 15 minutes to filter out the previous queries.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Monitor entity framework queries

as the query generated by entity framework are different, we need a way to monito the queries and group them in a similar bucket

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remove dropped database from Configuration>Monitored servers

I would like to be able to delete a database from Configuration>Monitored servers, if that database has been dropped from the monitored SQL server.
    As it stands now, if a database has been dropped, I have to remove it manually from the RedGateSQLMonitor database via script.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Report from Primary server in HA Group, even after failover

In a High Availability Group we have reports configured against the Primary server. When there is a failover, the reports should still be against Primary but are no longer, so need to be edited. Ideally, we should have reports that are always running against Primary, even when it switches to another server.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Customize Disk Space alert for C: drive on all servers

SQL Monitor allows me to set global settings for Disk Space alerts, and then override for a complete server group, for all disk of one single server, or for a specific disk.

What I want is to have different settings for the system drive (C:) as compared to the other drives, Currently I need to set this for each individual C: drive, so one change per server.

Please make it possible to specify global settings (applying to all disks on all servers), and then add an override for C: on all servers.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. use alternate IP addresses for named instances

I am modifying my named instances to use separate IP addresses. This allows me to use CNAMES for each databases, We are then able to move the databases around to another instance without the customers having to modify their connection strings.We are also able to use port 1433 for all existences. SQL monitor tries to connect to the instance using the servername\SQLINSTANCE, which no longer works remotely suite to each instance having it's own IP Address using and alternate A-RECORD name.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Unlicensed Databases

If a license is removed for a database, a banner at the top of the page shows up saying, "You have unlicensed servers. Unlicensed servers will not be monitored and will not raise alerts. Manage licenses | Manage monitored servers". And, on the "Configuration > Monitored servers" page the databases show with a red x, as Unlicensed, and a Manage licenses link.

It is good that licenses can be removed for individual databases, however it would be better to be able to remove the databases once they are unlicensed, so that we don't have to have the banner and the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Displaying the actual names of the disks and not just the Volume Number for the Disk space alert

In SQL Monitor when you are using the disk space alert in conjunction with multiple volumes on different mountpoints SQL Monitor tends to display just the HardDisk Volume number in the alert, this is extremely unhelpful as it means you have to log on to the physical server, launch diskmgmt.msc and match the disk thats alerting to take any action. Is it possible to just display the mount point name as opposed to the Disk Volume Number? This would be extremely helpful and would give a wealth of information instantly.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions