Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — the Redgate Monitor team will often stay quiet initially about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

208 results found

1. Email Alerts subject info

Change the subject to the email alert, remove the SQL monitor ID number as taking up space without adding value, making it more difficult to gather the neccesary info from the subject line for job failure etc when viewing email through a portable device iPhone etc.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Priya Sinha responded

SQL Monitor V 3.3. has now released. This release contains improved subject lines and message bodies of alert emails to help you quickly understand problems before logging in to SQL Monitor.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

2. occurrences

Please retain a "tombstone" that can be referenced to present a history of "Occurrences" for HIGH Alerts. Allow us an additional retention period so these don't hang around forever - but please don't limit the number of days, just a smallint would be good.

When Monitoring Fails and is cleared, the Occurrence disappears when DB maint nukes "old cleared Alerts". If the retention period is short, say 14 days, the history of occurrences is soon lost.

A "tombstone" would at least keep the occurrences for trending.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Daniel Rothig responded

Just keep the alert data in the Purge settings indefinitely – it’s only the metadata of the alerts, none of the performance data, so are “tombstones” as you described

3. Alert Details - Performance Data - Top 10 expensive queries - Bug

The "Top 10 expensive queries" tab under the "Performance Data" section of the "Alert Details" view shows "Totals" data by default even though the "Avg. per execution" radio option is selected by default.

This can be confirmed by changing the selection to totals and then back to average.

Observed in Web Version 3.2.1.231

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for pointing this out to us. It has been fixed in version 3.3

4. Analysis | Allow for custom versus comparisons

It would be useful to compare a custom time range between different days such as 08:00 - 10:00 for this Monday and the Monday before.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Priya Sinha responded

This has now been implemented in v3.4.

Thanks

5. Globally enable/disable monitoring

We would like the ability to quickly turn off and on all monitoring and alerting globally. This would be usefull when we have major outage that we become aware of and start to work on, however alerts get generated very quickly and can overwhelm the email system or support phone. It would be great if we could continue to collect performance metrics but stop all alerts until the problem is resolved.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add Disk Used Percentage to the Analysis screen.

The Disk Used metric on the Analysis screen is great for tracking how much disk space is being used but it would be more useful if this figure was a percentage so you could tell how close to capacity the disk is.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Adam responded

Thank you for this suggestion. Disk Used % was subsequently added to the Analysis page.

Additionally we have now added a new Estate tab which includes an overview of the disk space used across the estate with a projection of how it will grow in the coming year. You can try this out by updating to the latest version 8.0.13 (it was released in version 8.0.10), or by viewing the online demo at https://monitor.red-gate.com/Estate/Disks

We will now close this suggestion but please do raise another suggestion or contact us if you feel further improvements would be particularly helpful to you.

Kind regards,

7. Disable Chat functionality

It would be nice to have an Option to disable the built in chat functionality. I understand this is a quick easy method for obtaining feedback from the user community. The issue I have is that this is not an "Approved Chat Client" according to my info sec unit.

Having the ability to turn it off allows me to satisfy their requirements while still allowing this to be enabled for other users to quickly interact and provide feedback to RedGate.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After upgrading to SQL Monitor 6.0.8 or later you can now disable the intercom chat feature.

After upgrading navigate to the following file C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor\Web\Website\web.config

and amend the line

intercom enabled=“true”

to be false, then restart the website.

Further details can be found here:
    https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=80218&sid=76afdd87b11da381fcb31901d658270a#p143776

Thanks for your patience with this issue,

8. to see 24-hour clock affecting times on graphs

I see the setting and it is set and in most places it is used but not in the time axis on graphs in analysis.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have just released version 7.1.3, available from Check for Updates, which fixes this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, and for your patience,

Adam

9. display unlicensed servers in different color

We started with RedGate Monitoring and added all our SQL Servers. As a result we consumed too much licenses. Although there's a warning on the top of the screen for this, the unlicensed servers are reporting 'healthy' which is a little tricky (especially for non-dba it'ers) because you don't know the state.

I like to see the unlicensed servers in a different color ( for example gray) to see a better reliable overview

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Turner responded

Unlicensed servers are now shown as grey on the global dashboard.

10. Allow the pinning of availability groups to the Global Dashboard

I'd like to see the status of my AGs on the Global Dashboard without having to find them inside the server. Would also nice to see stats on latency on this widget.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Exclude databases with state = 1 (RESTORING) in page verification alert

During a restore the page verification alert gets triggered, even when the database has CHECKSUM page verification. Please exclude database with state = 1 (RESTORING) in this alert! Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion.

Version 9.0.4 has now been released and the Page Verification Alert will no longer alert when a database is being restored.

We hope this works as you expected and will mark this as complete, but please do let us know if you have any further comments.

Kind regards,

12. Dynamic Report names

It should be possible to have dynamic fields in the report name similar to the way Backup Pro implements backup names. So when the report is emailed the attachment could be easily saved without having to rename it.
    For example "MyReportsBaseName<YYYYMMDD><HH:MM>"

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. See last backup of each type in Overview page

Currently the backup section in a database on the overview page shows the backups that happened in the selected range, and it only shows the last backup of each type that happens. We have a database that does full backups once a week and then differentials.

It would be helpful at a glance to see the status of the last backup of each type regardless of if it happened in the time window or not. Maybe hide the last differential if it happened before the last full.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have redesigned the Backups information to more clearly show the selected range it refers to, and also show when the last backups occurred prior to that. This can be seen in the latest version (8.0.25)

We hope this improvement completes the suggestion and will mark it as completed. Do let us know if you have any further feedback

14. "Installed Versions" tab needs to be aware of GDR updates

Only Service Packs and Cumulative Updates are currently included in the version list maintained by Redgate, which drives the "Installed Versions" tab. GDR updates are not included.

In my estate, this has resulted in SQL Server 2012 SP4 installations showing as being fully up to date, when there is a GDR update from January available, to address Meltdown/Spectre.

Microsoft's official line on GDR updates for SQL Server is:

"A GDR addresses an issue that has a broad customer impact, that has security implications, or that has both. A GDR is determined and issued by Microsoft as appropriate and when appropriate.…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add alias with powershell module

We install our sql server automatically via powershell, so we also add them there to the monitoring. We would like to safe us work, by giving the server a custom alias while adding to the monitoring as it can be done through the website.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When using "Back" browser function PLEASE put me back at the same place in the LONG list!

Although http://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums/91743-suggestions/suggestions/2022999-add-previous-next-navigation-to-alert-details talks about previous/next, buried in it is the problem of wading through PAGES, AGAIN of stuff I've hunted through.

I'd like to add this separate request to deal with the simple issue of "put me back at the same place in the list as I was when I clicked an Alert to view".

I should not be forced to clear younger Alerts just so the Alert I'm on appears on page 1, either (not an elegant workaround).

Thanks.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We ran a series of usability sessions which included the new work we have completed adding previous/next (well, newer/older) and making filters persist, to understand how we should adapt this.

Now, when you work through a number of alerts using the newer/older navigation, clicking on the inbox will take you to the inbox at the point you would be – i.e. you will ‘emerge’ at that point. Hopefully this will solve the problem as you will not ‘be forced to clear younger alerts’.

We hope this solution works for you and we’d be interested to hear how you find the new features.

17. Allow drilldrown capability for different resource areas

It would be nice to be able to see which sql statements or db users were generating the most CPU usage, RAM usage, and Disk IO. This would help us quickly identify bottlenecks on the system.

CLR statistics would be nice to have too since we have found that it can account for locking issues in certain circumstances.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resource utilisation per query can be seen in the top 10 queries view on the SQL Instance overview

18. Missing database name in blocking session alert

When I receive an alert about a blocking session, it does not tell me the database. The mail starts with e.g.

Blocking Session ID: 93
    Number of blocked descendants: 1
    Total blocking duration for all descendants: 00:03:02
    Blocking SQL fragment: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo]...

In the subsequent blocks (blocked sessions) it shows the corresponding database name, but only after much of scrolling, when the block cames from a long procedure (some with > 1000 lines).

So please add the database name to the blocking session part too.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. Version 7.1.3 has now been released and improvements include adding the database name to the Blocking process alert.

Kind regards,

19. Link executions of top 10 queries

I had an issue with a query that runs slow every other day. For a specific slow day I could find it in the top 10 queries. I'd like to be able to easily compare the days when it was previously executed . I did manage this by opening a new tab to select the fast day - the query was hard to find as there were many other queries in the top 10 on the fast day. I'd like to be able to lock in on a specific query and monitor the server/query stats at the time/duration of previous…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. A graph showing a query’s history was added to the Server Overview Top Queries table in Version 7.1.11 in November 2017. This allows you to see a query’s performance over time, view its execution count, duration, reads, and writes, and the points in time a query’s plan changed.

We will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have other specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

20. Preserve advanced filter settings when page size is changed

When viewing alerts and changing page size, a predefined filter setting is preserved, but any other advanced settings appear to be reset.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In v3.1 the filters now persist on the Alert inbox until they are manually cleared, so you can change the page size or navigate away and always return to the filtered alerts without having to reselect the filter.

We’re interested to hear your feedback on this feature so please let us know at usability@red-gate.com.

Thanks again for the suggestion and comments.

• Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base