Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

207 results found

1. Have the ability to pin the left sidebar in the overview screen

It'd be great if we could pin the sidebar on the left-hand side of the screen on the overview section when looking at a particular server. As I'm looking over metrics I oven find myself hovering over that section then waiting for it to expand and collapse again. An example concept implementation that I think would work well is similar to how Microsoft implements basically that same functionality in their office suite (in particular off hand outlook is a great example). Really just being able to pin it in place I think would satisfy the entire issue for me as…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Turner responded

The sidebar is now either open or closed (it will no longer open on mouseover).

2. reports timespan options

Please add 14days as the timespan in the dropdown for the reports

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Overview database growth estimation

When planning new server we have to estimate how much space will be taken by database during life cycle of new SQL server and when SQL monitor watching server for us I would like to have possibility see following:

• Database file size portion
    • Log File size portion and how much of that contain free space
    • Estimated growth (as information in Alert)
    • Summarized size per disk (if possible with how much space left)
    • Have this available as summary tile in the report, so I can reactive this info as email.

Thanks and regards,

//Radek

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Adam responded

Hi, thanks for this suggestion.

We have added a button to the query plan that allows the full in-truncated text to be copied to clipboard.

We hope this improvement solves the suggestion so will mark it as completed. Please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

5. Prompted for update to version 8.0.12 but website is a dead end

The "update" link in the SQL monitor console takes me to a "learn more" page with no link to an update EXE. I am referred to a zip file with a SQLBundle EXE which doesn't contain the Monitor, or an outdated version of SQL Monitor.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this, and apologies that you encountered it. We removed version 8.0.12 owing to a bug, and have since released 8.0.13.

I will close this suggestion, but if you require further assistance with this issue, please could you let us know using the support forum https://forum.red-gate.com/categories/sql-monitor-7

Kind regards,
    Adam

6. Database File Usage Alert - Autogrowth

Database File Usage Alert : Please consider autogrowth! So far, this alert is of no help.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Monitor v7.1.18 added an option to disable database file usage alerts when autogrowth is enabled. The setting can be found on the configuration screen for the database file usage alert.

Thanks for helping us improve this feature with your suggestion.

7. Alert when SQL Monitor is having a problem.

We have the SQL Monitor database located on a different server from the Base and Web Service. We had an instance where the SQL Server hosting the SQL Monitor database went down. When that server went down it failed to send us an alerts and we didn't know that SQL Monitor was having no problems as it wasn't sending out any email alerts to notify us that it couldn't connect to it's database. A nice fix would be to have SQL Monitor send an alert to notify us that it can't do it's job.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This can be set-up using the 'Send base monitor error emails to' field within the Email notification settings (see attached). SQL Monitor will send error emails to this email address if a base monitor experiences an error.

8. Long-running query alert - add an option to exclude queries based on the USER running it

This alert already has the options to exclude queries (via RegEx) based on the process name or SQL commands/objects used. I miss a similar option for excluding queries based on the user running the query.

An example: let's say you have a job that runs SSIS job steps using a proxy->credential->dedicated domain user. The SSIS packages run loads of SQL queries, some taking a long time - but that might be expected and OK (let's say the job is a nightly ETL process for a DW). Without excluding queries based on that user (simple but effective!) you could get a…

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Report Email Attachment Name

Name the pdf attachment something other than "AttachedReport".
    The report has a title and a date which could be used to name the attachment. That would really simplify the process of saving the reports for baseline purposes.
    e.g. "Server2ProcessUtilization20180308.pdf"

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a "Check for updates" link in the About section

Alternative for when you've clicked away the "new version available" notification

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

We have now added check for updates to the About section in version 7.1.16.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll mark this as completed now, but do let us know if you feel it should be reopened.

Thanks
    Adam

11. display unlicensed servers in different color

We started with RedGate Monitoring and added all our SQL Servers. As a result we consumed too much licenses. Although there's a warning on the top of the screen for this, the unlicensed servers are reporting 'healthy' which is a little tricky (especially for non-dba it'ers) because you don't know the state.

I like to see the unlicensed servers in a different color ( for example gray) to see a better reliable overview

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unlicensed servers are now shown as grey on the global dashboard.

12. One-time Maintenance Window

We perform updates to (nearly) all our Windows servers on our domain monthly. I'd like see the ability to set a maintenance window and have it removed once it has passed, rather than having the maintenance window fixed to set time every week.

One use case is "silencing" alert generation while investigation is in progress

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. SQL Monitor 10 now allows teams to suppress alerts, or just their notifications, over certain periods using alert suppression windows. Please see What’s New in SQL Monitor 10 for more details (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-monitor/whats-new-in-sql-monitor-10).

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as completed. Please raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,

SQL Monitor product team

13. Multiple Maintenance Windows

I would like to be able to set two maintenace windows every day.

98 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. SQL Monitor 10 now allows teams to suppress alerts, or just their notifications, over certain periods using alert suppression windows. Multiple windows can be set-up. Please see What’s New in SQL Monitor 10 for more details (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-monitor/whats-new-in-sql-monitor-10).

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as completed. Please raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,

SQL Monitor product team

14. Link executions of top 10 queries

I had an issue with a query that runs slow every other day. For a specific slow day I could find it in the top 10 queries. I'd like to be able to easily compare the days when it was previously executed . I did manage this by opening a new tab to select the fast day - the query was hard to find as there were many other queries in the top 10 on the fast day. I'd like to be able to lock in on a specific query and monitor the server/query stats at the time/duration of previous…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. A graph showing a query’s history was added to the Server Overview Top Queries table in Version 7.1.11 in November 2017. This allows you to see a query’s performance over time, view its execution count, duration, reads, and writes, and the points in time a query’s plan changed.

We will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have other specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

15. get a report on my server inventory

For MSFT licensing purposes, I would like to have a report from SQL Monitor across all my registered servers that tells me enough information to work out my licensing requirements. For example, which version of SQL Server is installed, which edition, how many CPUs it is installed for, any information about the Windows licensing, whether it is on a virtual machine (and how many sockets, etc) ... you get the idea.

Currently, the reports only allow for a very limited amount of information to be added, and they have to be in summary tiles or charts. Maybe this could be…

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The SQL Server Licensing page within the ‘Estate’ section (see attached) shows licensing information for monitored servers.

16. Please remove the 20 character size limitation from the Alias feature

Given that actual server named instances can be longer than 20 characters (even if they are truncated on the display), it makes no sense to limit an alias to 20 characters. Please significantly extend this limitation.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stop being nagged about maintenance windows - because they don't fit our operation

The nag about "you haven't set up any maintenance windows" is something you could allow us to turn off. Period.

SQL Monitor's simplistic feature does not tie in with the way Rackspace performs their patching, so the feature is useless and the nag is annoying as it keeps on coming up and we keep on dismissing it.

Please, give us a "Turn of maintenance window reminders globally" option - it can't be that hard to do...

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

SQL Monitor 7.1.11.9625 has been released to check for updates and contains a fix for this bug (SRP-11455 fixed an issue where some informational messages were not dismissible).

Please do let us know if you continue to see this issue. Thanks for your patience.

Adam

18. See more detail on Failed Agent Jobs

Present the detailed Step error message for Agent Job Failures. Currently shows the Job message, but not the error from the step that actually failed. This requires the user to open SSMS and drill down to find what caused the failure, instead of getting a head start from SQL Monitor.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion and votes. This was completed in version 7.1.2. I will close this – please let us know if you believe there are further improvements we could make.

Kind regards,

19. Historical graph of how one query/Stored procedure is performing now compared to 2 months back

Choose from top 50 of worst queries and check what is the difference now compared to the stats in the past in graphical view and create custom reports with graphical view

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. A graph showing a query’s history was added to the Server Overview Top Queries table in Version 7.1.11 in November 2017. This allows you to see a query’s performance over time, view its execution count, duration, reads, and writes, and the points in time a query’s plan changed.

We will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have other specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

20. set the default email recipient per level

I'd like to be able to override the default email recipient "per level", in the same way alerts can be configured.

This would make it much easier to manage in a case where monitoring responsibilities are delegated for a specific server or group of servers.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?