Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

207 results found

1. Don't check Agent status for Express Edition

Whenever I add a server to the monitoring that is Express Edition, I get alerted that the SQL Agent service is not running.
    Well d'uh. It's Express Edition. The Agent service cannot run on it.

Instead of always giving me this alert and then having me go in and disable it for yet another server, why not change the logic to not raise this alert at all when the edition is detected as Express?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Commit to supporting Linux in some way

Linux is the future of sql server. If you've not deployed SQL 2019 AlwaysOn on Kubernetes I'd highly suggest you do. The install is lightning fast compared to clunky Windows installers of the past. I really feel like Redgate is taking a slow poison by not getting on this sooner. Honestly most of the metrics in sql monitor come from the internals of sql. All we really need from Linux is probably free disk space and cpu.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add 2017 CU14 to Estate view

Currently SQL Monitor shows the latest SQL Server 2017 version to be CU13 yet the latest is CU14. This should show the latest version.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. SQL Agent jobs with a 'cancelled' status are incorrectly flagged as 'Job failing' in the Alert Inbox

With Always On related SQL Agent jobs, an initial job step is added to check whether the target database is Primary/Secondary on the cluster node. If 'Primary', then continue with subsequent job steps, if 'Secondary' then stop and do not attempt any further job steps. In circumstances where the job is stopped the last run outcome is shown as 'Canceled' - however, SQL Monitor shows these particular status jobs as 'Job failing' in the Alert Inbox. The job hasn't really failed and has been stopped in a controlled way. Can the status of these job be correctly identified please?

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Adam responded

Thanks for this suggestion, and for the additional comments which helped us decide quickly what solution to implement.

Version 9.0.13 released 23rd May includes a new Job cancelled alert (off by default) and stops the existing Job failing alert being raised for cancelled jobs.

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as closed, but please do raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

5. In the Estate view you are 2 CU's behind for SQL Server 2016.

Currently SQL Monitor shows the latest SQL Server 2016 version to be SP2 CU4 yet the latest is SP2 CU6. This should show the latest version.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Support SAML for Web Single Sign-On (SSO)

SQL Monitor should be able to support Enterprise Single Sign-On using SAML. Is this on the roadmap?

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Have more flexibility in Maintenance Window Schedules

We do OS and SQL Server patching one Sunday a month for dev and QA and the following Sunday for production. I think if maintenance windows scheduler looked more like setting a schedule in an agent job it would be perfect for setting these kinds of maintenance windows. And if we could drive setting / modifying maintenance windows via T-SQL that would be even better.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Turner responded

Thanks for this suggestion. SQL Monitor 10 now allows teams to suppress alerts, or just their notifications, over certain periods using alert suppression windows. Please see What’s New in SQL Monitor 10 for more details (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-monitor/whats-new-in-sql-monitor-10).

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as completed. Please raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,

SQL Monitor product team

8. suppress emails during maintenance window

Allow the ability to suppress all alert emails during a maintenance window. Right now we have ~65 SQL servers and during windows when the OS team is patching and rebooting the servers we can receive 100's of emails as the servers go up and down. It would be great if we could set a schedule or at the very least a single use window when emails don't get sent.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. SQL Monitor 10 now allows teams to suppress alerts, or just their notifications, over certain periods using alert suppression windows. Please see What’s New in SQL Monitor 10 for more details (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-monitor/whats-new-in-sql-monitor-10).

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as completed. Please raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,

SQL Monitor product team

9. Read Only users should not view Analysis page.

When restricting "Read Only" users they can still see all servers when viewing the "Analysis" page. I think this should also exclude any servers not explicitly defined in the Managed Users page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion. This has been fixed in Version 9.0.6 (although I would suggest updating to the most recent version, v9.0.7 at time of writing) when we fixed the issue SRP-11791: AD user can see names of servers they don’t have access to fixed for Analysis and Backups.

Hopefully this completes this suggestion.

Thanks,

10. Hide Nonrelevant Metrics

The addition of Azure metrics has made the selection of metrics within the analysis page less efficient; as there are now twice as many items to pick from, many with the exact same name. In my environment, there are no Azure databases being monitored, so these metrics only serve as a clutter. It would be nice if metrics were hidden that aren't applicable to the list of monitoring SQL Servers.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remove wait type VDI_CLIENT_OTHER from the wait graph

SQL Monitor shows high waits for SQL Server 2016+ systems that implement availability groups configured for automatic seeding. Since a multiple system processes called VDICLIENTWORKER are left running by design. This wait tends to be the top wait in an AG configuration and erroneously indicates a problem that does not really exist.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Monitor SQL instances running in AWS RDS

Enable SQL Monitor to add AWS RDS instances as monitored servers

101 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. New Licensing for Azure SQL Databases

If you are going to start licensing by the number of Azure SQL Databases, at least provide the option of adding and removing databases from the Azure SQL Server.
    I have three databases on one Azure SQL Server that are costing me licenses, however two are data warehouses and one is paused. If they are not being monitored, why am I being charged for a license?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion.

The ability to add/remove individual licenses for Azure SQL Databases has been implemented in version 8.0.22, released on 13th November.

We hope this meets your requirements and will mark this suggestion as completed, but please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,

14. PLEASE PUT BACK THE OPTION TO SELECT MULTIPLE ALERTS

is anyone as frustrated as I am about the removal of selecting multiple alerts and adding a comment in one swoop?

At least make it an admin option so that it can be turned on or off

We are wasting so much time every day trying to clear alerts and it is unproductive

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for letting us know this was important to your workflow.

Version 8.0.23 has now been released and includes the return of the ability to add comments to multiple alerts.

This was initially removed while developing the ability to group alerts, and it’s taken us longer than expected to reintroduce – apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

We hope this solves this suggestion so will mark it as completed.

15. Comment multiple alerts at once

I would like the ability to add the same comment to all of my selected alerts before clearing them in the Alert Inbox.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion.

Version 8.0.23 has now been released and includes the return of the ability to add a comment to multiple alerts.

This was initially removed while developing the ability to group alerts, and it’s taken us longer than expected to reintroduce – apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

We hope this solves this suggestion. We’ll mark it as completed, but please do reply if you have any further feedback.

16. Comment multiple alerts at once

I would like the ability to add the same comment to all of my selected alerts before clearing them in the Alert Inbox.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion.

Version 8.0.23 has now been released and includes the return of the ability to add comments to multiple alerts.

We hope this solves this suggestion. We’ll mark it as completed, but please do reply if you have any further feedback.

17. Have the ability to pin the left sidebar in the overview screen

It'd be great if we could pin the sidebar on the left-hand side of the screen on the overview section when looking at a particular server. As I'm looking over metrics I oven find myself hovering over that section then waiting for it to expand and collapse again. An example concept implementation that I think would work well is similar to how Microsoft implements basically that same functionality in their office suite (in particular off hand outlook is a great example). Really just being able to pin it in place I think would satisfy the entire issue for me as…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The sidebar is now either open or closed (it will no longer open on mouseover).

18. "Installed Versions" tab needs to be aware of GDR updates

Only Service Packs and Cumulative Updates are currently included in the version list maintained by Redgate, which drives the "Installed Versions" tab. GDR updates are not included.

In my estate, this has resulted in SQL Server 2012 SP4 installations showing as being fully up to date, when there is a GDR update from January available, to address Meltdown/Spectre.

Microsoft's official line on GDR updates for SQL Server is:

"A GDR addresses an issue that has a broad customer impact, that has security implications, or that has both. A GDR is determined and issued by Microsoft as appropriate and when appropriate.…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. reports timespan options

Please add 14days as the timespan in the dropdown for the reports

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for this suggestion.

We have added a button to the query plan that allows the full in-truncated text to be copied to clipboard.

We hope this improvement solves the suggestion so will mark it as completed. Please do let us know if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,

• Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base