Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — the Redgate Monitor team will often stay quiet initially about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

208 results found

1. set the default email recipient per level

I'd like to be able to override the default email recipient "per level", in the same way alerts can be configured.

This would make it much easier to manage in a case where monitoring responsibilities are delegated for a specific server or group of servers.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I want to be able to document in SQL Monitor why an alert is set a certain way.

On the alert configuration screen for any alert, at any level I would like to see a comment type box where I can enter in the box the reason the alert is set as it is.

For example if I have disabled the backup overdue alert for a particular database I would like to be able to save that reason in this comment box. Or if I have changed the disk space usage for a particular drive on a server different than the default I want to be able to document the reason why.

I want to see this box…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Adam responded

Thank you for this suggestion, it makes sense to want to record why certain configuration changes have been made.

We released this enhancement in version 8.0.10 (in July this year – apologies for delay in updating this suggestion).

I will mark this suggestion as Completed, but please do reply if you have any further feedback.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

3. Email reports monthly

I just upgraded to SQL Monitor V7 and it's great being able to have custom metrics in reports. We have a metric that records how many customers are notified in a monthly process (runs overnight on the 1st of the month). We need a way to send out this report via email on the 1st of every month (current options are only to send it weekly)

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ability to email reports on a monthly schedule has now been released.

Please make a new suggestion if there are any areas of the reporting you think could be improved.

Kind regards,

4. Identify if virtualization hosts are congested

CONTEXT: We are monitoring virtual servers that share a VM host.

PROBLEM: If host resources are overallocated, the physical resources can be contended even if the virtual resources aren't. This is not easy to spot in SQL Monitor.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS
    • Add virutal host counters for VMware and Hyper-V to the analysis graph: CPU, Memory, disk...
    • Integrate with a Virtualisation monitoring solution to connect the dots more easily

100 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have now released version 7.1.0. The collection of VMware metrics is out of beta.

https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SM7/Adding+a+VMWare+host

If you have suggestions for any improvements you would like to see, please begin a new suggestion with as much detail as possible, so we can consider where best to focus our efforts.

Thanks,

5. Sortable System Processes Grid

On the Alert Details page, it would be nice if I could sort the grid under the "System Processes" tab. It currently shows processes sorted alphabetically by name. I would like to sort it by CPU or memory utilization to see top consumers. I currently have to copy the data to a spreadsheet to do that.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This suggestion, allowing the system processes grid in alert details to be sortable, was completed in Version 6.0.18 – apologies for not updating at the time.

Thanks for the suggestion – please reply if you feel it needs further attention.

Kind regards

6. to see 24-hour clock affecting times on graphs

I see the setting and it is set and in most places it is used but not in the time axis on graphs in analysis.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have just released version 7.1.3, available from Check for Updates, which fixes this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, and for your patience,

Adam

7. Allow option to exclude Integrity Check Overdue Alert for read only databases

An alert configuration option should allow
    a database status to be checked when querying for last good integrity checks and read_only databases could be excluded from the alert. Even when integrity checks are performed on read only databases, the last checked date is not updated resulting in unnecessary alerts in most cases.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Relative-day maintenance windows

Rackspace maintenance days revolve around, for example, "Default week - Wednesday - 02:00 to 04:00", where "default week" is established in the service contract. That can change to early-week or (I forget the name) "late-week".

Current SQL Monitor Maintenance Windows are wholly inadequate to record a "Default week is 2nd week of each month, maintenance on that week's Wednesday, at (the time period)".

Without this, my PagerDuty Alerts go berserk during maintenance windows, and shy of having someone go and suspend monitoring at 2 in the morning and remember to turn it back on, it just keeps on sending out…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Turner responded

Thanks for this suggestion. SQL Monitor 10 now allows teams to suppress alerts, or just their notifications, over certain periods using alert suppression windows. Please see What’s New in SQL Monitor 10 for more details (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-monitor/whats-new-in-sql-monitor-10).

We hope this meets requirements and will mark it as completed. Please raise further suggestions for any improvements you would like to see.

Thanks,

SQL Monitor product team

9. Disable Chat functionality

It would be nice to have an Option to disable the built in chat functionality. I understand this is a quick easy method for obtaining feedback from the user community. The issue I have is that this is not an "Approved Chat Client" according to my info sec unit.

Having the ability to turn it off allows me to satisfy their requirements while still allowing this to be enabled for other users to quickly interact and provide feedback to RedGate.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After upgrading to SQL Monitor 6.0.8 or later you can now disable the intercom chat feature.

After upgrading navigate to the following file C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor\Web\Website\web.config

and amend the line

intercom enabled=“true”

to be false, then restart the website.

Further details can be found here:
    https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=80218&sid=76afdd87b11da381fcb31901d658270a#p143776

Thanks for your patience with this issue,

10. Add AM PM or military time to alert times since they aren't listed

Process login time: 3 Nov 2016 09:00
    Query start time: 3 Nov 2016 09:00
    Would either want them in military time, or listed w/ AM PM so I know when they occurred

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing as this has been available since 6.0.7
    You can find this option on Configuration > Display settings. Please let us know if this is not working as you expect.
    Thanks

11. Forecast and plan disk/database capacity

CONTEXT: When looking after a large number of databases, we have to make sure that none of them run out of space or I/O capacity.

PROBLEM: SQL Monitor needs to show us:
    • The current size of Database files (and which disks they are on) and how full they are, ideally with a forecast
    • Autogrowth configuration
    • Space remaining on disk, ideally with a forecast
    • File and disk-level IO metrics, ideally with a forecast

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    • Provide this data as metrics in the Analysis Graph
    • Create a Disk Overview report with this data
    • Enhance the…

217 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this suggestion. Version 8.0.10 released July 10th, 2018 includes a new Estate tab containing the new “Disk Capacity Planning” feature.

We hope this meets the requirements and will close this suggestion, but please do raise another suggestion if you have specific improvements you’d like to see.

Kind regards,
    Adam

12. improve speed when navigating through the GUI

It takes quite sometime to navigate across the screens on V6.0 would be a welcome relief if we have performance improvement on the UI

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for raising your suggestion. We’ve made a number of performance improvements over recent releases. Whilst we will continue to make improvements, hopefully this meets your expectation regarding this suggestion, so I will close this issue.

If you have any specific issues or suggestions around performance, please reply to this or raise another UserVoice suggestion so we can investigate.

Thanks
    Adam

13. "CLEARED" alerts button should be renamed to "CLEAR".

On the alerts screen, there is an option to select alerts. If you want to clear the alerts selected you hit the button labeled "CLEARED".

Having the button marked "CLEARED" is confusing because it implies that the button is a filter rather than an action. It should be labeled "CLEAR" so you know you are performing an action.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion.

We agree the labels were confusing so this was fixed in version 8.0.2 in March (apologies for delay in updating) when the new inbox was released. The button now reads ‘Clear’ as you suggested.

Thanks again,

14. Do other tasks than send email on new alert

It would be nice if it was possible to allow other tasks when a alert is raised. Other tasks which could be called: Script file, url, exe file.

96 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  19 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Reduce the number of false-positive status alerts (e.g. Machine unreachable)

CONTEXT: Many status alerts (eg. Machine unreachable) have a simple configuration model, meaning that these alerts will trigger as soon as a ping to the Machine fails.

PROBLEM: VPN connection resets, scheduled restarts, etc. all may be acceptable causes for a ping to fail in our system, but these currently lead to a lot of false positives... provided they are brief, and the system recovers in time.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    • Add configuration to the machine unreachable alerts to set a time threshold
    • Require two consecutive pings to fail before raising the alert

92 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Version 5.0.5 introduced the ability to configure machine unreachable, and SQL Server instance unreachable, by multiple time thresholds. We left this open for a while to see if there were any further requests. Thanks for the suggestion.

16. Don't bloat plan cache

Fix this query so the nvarchar() parm is of a fixed size (or MAX). As is, each invocation is generating its own execution plan and bloating the plan cache.

(@p0 bigint,@p1 bigint,@p2 nvarchar(560))INSERT INTO [data].[ClusterSqlServerTopQueriesInstances] ([Id], [CollectionDate], [QueryText]) VALUES (@p0, @p1, @p2)

(@p0 bigint,@p1 bigint,@p2 nvarchar(159))INSERT INTO [data].
    [ClusterSqlServerTopQueriesInstances] ([Id], [CollectionDate], [QueryText]) VALUES (@p0, @p1, @p2)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed in v6.0.3
    Thanks again for the suggestion, we appreciate your input.

17. See how alerts correlate in time

CONTEXT: When investigating an alert, it is useful to see what else has happened at the time. SQL Monitor gives detailed performance and query data with every alert details report, but doesn't show what other alerts have been raised at the time

PROBLEM: Sometimes alerts inform one another. E.g. a Long-running query can be caused by a blocked process, or a deadlock can cause a job failure. Alerts coinciding with the current one potentially help us to determine the root cause

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    • List time-correlated alerts when viewing alert details
    • See alerts over time on a graph
    •…

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Version 6.0 was released on August 30th, 2016 and contained a new Server Overview which shows alerts over time.

I am closing this as there have been no new comments since it was released. If you would like to see specific improvements to this feature, please raise a new suggestion.

Thanks,

18. Receive an alert for the process that is blocking not the process being blocked.

We recently upgraded our SQL Monitor to version 5.1 and it appears there has been a change in the Blocking process metric. Before the upgrade we received an alert about a process that was blocking and after the upgrade it appears we receive an alert for each of the processes being blocked. We have set the threshold for 90 seconds and if there are three processes that are 30 seconds that total the 90 seconds, we receive an alert. However we don’t want to receive an alert for the 30 second blocked processes. Is there a way we can understand…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Alert History on new Overview - Don't show Cleared Alerts

The slide-out Alert pane is useful on the Overview IF, and ONLY IF, under normal circumstances we want to see NON-cleared Alerts, like the default filter on the Alerts page itself.

Please make this pane behave like the Alert page's filter, and allow us to re-filter, to include cleared if we want to. But at the very least allow us to set a default filter (in my case NON-cleared).

Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. The version 6.0.10 release added the ability to show/hide cleared and ended alerts from the timeline and alert sidebar on server overviews. We intend to add this to the global dashboard soon. Hopefully this solves the issue.

20. Navigation for "rewind time" shouldn't hide navigation buttons

The navigation controls for "rewind time" autohide when actively using this feature. Please consider enabling until "live" is chosen again to simplify operation to move back and forth in time increments.

Issue submitting first time. if duplicate please close.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing this because the v6 server overviews no longer have this particular time control so hopefully this bug is no longer relevant.

• Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base