Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate SQL Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve SQL Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on SQL Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the SQL Monitor forum.

In SQL Monitor, I want to...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Monitor a failover cluster in Azure

I have two failover clusters in Azure using ClusterSharedVolume storage, migrated from terrestrial clusters.
    I've been using SQL Monitor to monitor all aspects of these clusters but now I've migrated to Azure, the monitor can't connect (I believe it's to do with the inability to ping the cluster load balancer in Azure).
    I'm sure, as more and more of us migrate to cloud services, that covering an Azure cluster would be most welcome.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re actively working on supporting SQL Server Failover Cluster Instances within Azure and plan to support them within the next few weeks, most likely from version 7.1.4. We’ll add a note here with details of how to get going.

There are lots of ways in which Azure clusters can be configured, so we would be very interested to hear whether our approach works for you.

If you’d like to give some early feedback while we’re developing the feature, please drop me a line at sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com

Thanks,
      Adam

• Pagerduty API/WebHooks and Better Notification channel

We are in a high secure payments network, we do not wish to open ports used for email (smtp) however we would like integration with Pagerduty.

Please create a generic web hook interface where the payload can be fully customised or direct integration via there API.

I would like the option to pick what communication channel is used based on the severity of the alert

Alert Rule XXXXXX
      H M L
      Email
      Pagerduty X
      Slack X

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • set the default email recipient per level

I'd like to be able to override the default email recipient "per level", in the same way alerts can be configured.

This would make it much easier to manage in a case where monitoring responsibilities are delegated for a specific server or group of servers.

15 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re currently working on adding the ability to send notifications to different recipients per level of alert, along with other notification changes. We’d really appreciate some early feedback to make sure we’re on the right track.

If you’re willing to take a look at our designs and give a bit more detail on your specific requirements, please reply to sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com with ‘Notifications’ as the subject and I’ll send further details.

Thanks
          Adam, SQL Monitor Development Team

• Show deadlock alerts using the deadlock graph

Display deadlocks alerts in a more graphical and easier to understand way.

35 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Version 7.1.5 of SQL Monitor has been released which includes a new beta feature: Deadlock Alerts using Extended Events and providing a new visualisation of the deadlock information.

We’d appreciate any feedback you might have on this new feature, and thoughts on how far it goes to meet your requirements for this suggestion.

Please send your feedback to sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com so we can continue to improve the feature as we develop it.

Kind regards,
            SQL Monitor Development Team

• Custom reports against alerts, queries and metrics

CONTEXT: We want to see the bigger picture arising from the data presented in SQL Monitor.

PROBLEM: Currently you can't pull together a report in the SQL Monitor UI, and the monitoring database is not particularly accessible. We need reports against:
            - The metrics shown in the analysis graph
            - The top queries and waits
            - The alerts raised over time
            - Server configuration and SLA

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
            - Provide reporting scripts against the monitoring database
            - Privide a BI interface against the monitoring database
            - Priovide richer data-export functionality in the UI
            - Provide a report designer in the…

248 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              55 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Version 6.0.17 of SQL Monitor has been released and features enhancements to the reporting beta, now allowing you to make a copy of a report. Version 6.0.16 previously added a new summary tile for Server Waits by day and made improvements to the scheduling.

If you have any further feedback or details about your specific requirements, please comment or email sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com so that we can consider them as we continue to develop the feature.

Thanks, Adam

• See how alerts correlate in time

CONTEXT: When investigating an alert, it is useful to see what else has happened at the time. SQL Monitor gives detailed performance and query data with every alert details report, but doesn't show what other alerts have been raised at the time

PROBLEM: Sometimes alerts inform one another. E.g. a Long-running query can be caused by a blocked process, or a deadlock can cause a job failure. Alerts coinciding with the current one potentially help us to determine the root cause

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
              • List time-correlated alerts when viewing alert details
              • See alerts over time on a graph
              •…

38 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Triage and configure repeating alerts more efficiently

CONTEXT: Some alert types such as Long-running queries, Job Failure or Error Log Entries can trigger very frequently under certain circumstances.

PROBLEM: This causes a large number of alert emails to be sent, and the only way to ascetain that all these alerts are the same is to view the details screen for all of them.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS
                • Group similar alerts in the alert inbox
                • Raise alerts not on individual events, but on these events happening a specified number of times
                • Mention identifying information sooner: e.g. directly in the alert inbox
                • Suppress query-based alerts for specific…

455 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  61 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently implementing a design which will allow grouping of emails in the Alerts inbox.

We’d really like some early feedback to make sure we’re on the right track. If you’d be willing to take a look at our designs, I’d be grateful if you could reply to sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com with ‘Alerts’ as the subject so I can send you further details.

Thanks,
                  Adam, SQL Monitor Development Team

• Make SQL Monitor scale to more machines and networks

CONTEXT: We want to monitor many different servers in different domains and locations

PROBLEM: Network configuration for cross-domain monitoring can be challenging, and SQL Monior can slow down if many servers are being mointored

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
                  • Create a central web interface that can access multiple Base monitors
                  • Provide an optional agent that can be deployed for easier network configuration
                  • Make a single installation of SQL Monitor scale to a larger number of servers, and make network configuration easier

124 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Version 7.1.2 is now available and features a beta for the ability to install multiple base monitors with a single UI.

Documentation can be found here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SM7/Multiple+base+monitors

We’d really like to get your feedback if you try this out, so we can get an idea of how many people are using multiple base monitors, and where we can improve it.

Please email sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com with any feedback, or if you have any questions we can help with.

Thanks,
                    Adam

• Only receive emails for the most important alerts

CONTEXT: I review alerts raised by SQL Monitor in order to stay on top of my server activity, and I also have alert emails enabled in order to respond quickly to issues.

PROBLEM: I only want to receive emails for issues that require immedate action or are otherwise noteworthy. I don't want to change the alert thresholds because for my triage, the "lower-priority" alerts are still interesting - but they shouldn't be sent as emails.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
                    • Send emails by alert priority - e.g. medium and high only
                    • Alter the default alert behaviour to only send emails for…

224 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently making improvements to the alerting, including the ability to allow multiple notification channels per severity.

We’d really like to get some feedback while it is in development, so we can make sure it meets requirements. If you’d be interested in taking a look at our prototype, please reply to sqlmonitorfeedback@red-gate.com and I’ll send further information.

Thanks
                      Adam

• Use extended events for deadlock "tracing" instead of a trace flag

If the SQL Server version is high enough, using extended events to capture deadlock information would be preferred to using a trace flag.

143 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

SQL Monitor now supports extended events.
                        Currently the beta is limited to using extended events for better deadlock alerting, but in the future, support for additional events will be added.

https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SM7/Extended+Events

Thanks for the feedback so far. We made a fix yesterday to turn off TF 1222 when the XE deadlock monitoring is turned on (due to be released next week). We’ll also update the documentation accordingly.

Please let us know any further feedback you have.

Regards,
                        SQL Monitor Development Team

• Save and Export/Import sql monitor settings

Setting up custom alerts and servers is quite a bit of work. For example some jobs are more important than others. A different set of people get notified for some jobs. I have setup custom alert settings on many of the jobs this way. recently I had to move monitoring host to a different server and replicating same settings took me a lot of time. hence need ability to be able to export settings from one server and import to another. May be this will work through the monitoring database but I had to change the database from 2008 to…

38 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          started  ·  Daniel Rothig responded

Support can provide you with an export script for your alert and custom metric settings. We’re looking to make this script publicly available soon.

• Integrate SQL Monitor notifications with devices, ticketing systems and and other monitoring tools

CONTEXT: SQL Monitor is one of multiple tools I use to monitor my estate, such as SCOM, Tivoli, and OpenView. I would like to consoldate notifications from all of these tools

PROBLEM: SQL Monitor only sends human-readable email notifications, but other integration points like SNMP traps are not provided out of the box

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
                          • Provide an SNMP demon against SQL Monitor's alerting data
                          • Make SQL Monitor send SNMP notifications out of the box
                          • Ability to send SMS or other push notifications
                          • Ability to "forward" an alert into a ticketing system

115 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Don't see your idea?

Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base