Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — often the SQL Monitor team will initially stay quiet about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

683 results found

1. Customize the Alert page Columns

Due to the lack of any useful actual time-zone date-time presentation in the UI (I still have issues because of the SEVEN I have to deal with), kindly allow us to add columns to the Alerts page.

Specifically, I MUST HAVE the Group designation. This is the way I group by time-zone. When looking down the All Servers list, because there are always alerts across all the zones, having the "time-zone" right before the "Object" makes handling the busy list much easier than having to wait for each node's page to render, especially as the Alert Page performance has been…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Notification Profiles

It would be nice to have different notification profiles. For example, I'd like to have a notification profile for business hours vs. after hours.
    For business hours, I'd like to be notified when certain alerts happen, but during after hours, I would only like to know about if there is a system down issues.

It would be nice to have some kind of alert escalation system like this. So if I want certain alerts to alert me only when the High threshold has been reached after hours, but any other alerts during business hours.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Generate Notifications using a RESTful API Call

Considering the various ways that your customers may want to receive notifications, the ability to make calls to a RESTful API would be a big win.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Looking at the information recorded for top 10 queries I cant see a recorded date as to when query ran. Is it recoded somewhere if so how ca

Looking at the information recorded for top 10 queries I cant see a recorded date as to when query ran. Is it recoded somewhere if so how can i see it . If it is not why not. trying to track down who ran a query is very hard without a timestamp or username as to who ran it
    http://127.0.0.1:8080/overviews/cluster/wdcwdbp692/sql/sqlwprd1#?Zoom=1498683547086,1498690747086&MaxTime=1498690747086&Present=true&Range=

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Show sample aggregation values on Analysis graph

As you zoom out of a graph on the Analysis tab, the peaks and troughs become less obvious (I fully understand that and agree), but it would be beneficial to know roughly the level of detail at which the values have been calculated to show on the graph.

So for example at the most detailed level (say at Last 1hr) CPU usage is sampled every 15 seconds, zoom out to Last 6hr, and the points seem to be every 1 minute - so are 1 minute averages.

If I come all the way out to a custom 60 day view,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. pass

Platform as a service(PaaS) support on SQL Monitor

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The ability to exclude nodes in a cluster I don't want to monitor.

When a cluster spans regions I want to be able to only monitor my "active" region and note my "passive/DR" region.

If my primary region fails I would like to switch over my licenses to the other region in SQL Monitor so that I retain my license count.

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Run a custom SQL script when an alert is raised

We use SQL monitor very heavily for our SQL and application monitoring, what we would like is for each alert to be able to define a custom sql script to run when the alert is raised, the output of this sql should be included in the alert.

This would allow us to do things like capture whoisactive when blocking occurs or other application specific things and make responding to alerts MUCH easier.

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. upgrade without reentering credentials

When you run an upgrade, there should be an option that just uses the current service credentials (i.e. leaves everything as is) instead of having to re-enter them.

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Custom metrics to have their own individual data purging value

At the moment, we can only have a single value for data purging for all custom metrics.

I would like to be able to set a custom data purging interval for selected custom metrics as I'd like to track them over a longer period of time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Long Running Query Duration for Specific Queries

It would be really useful is this feature came into Live!

We have a number of queries that run on our SQL servers. We are aware these normally run for a long period of time (5-10 minutes) and do not want to exclude these from being alerted to us. Rather than changing the Long Running Query threshold for all the queries within the server we would like to be able to do it for these specific queries that take that little bit longer than others.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Track sql timeouts on execution

Track sql timeouts on execution from applications that close the connection before execution is completed

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. check if there are any service packs or updates for my SQL Server instances

check if there are any service packs or updates for my SQL Server instances. This could then raise an alert to prompt me to investigate these updates.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Trigger Self Healing Script and Auto Close

It would be great if SQL Monitor could invoke a SQL script upon an alert threshold being crossed and then take action within itself (ie. clear itself, notify a team, etc) based on the value returned (0/1) or default to an action if there is an issue with the script execution.

This type of functionality would help administrators have a first line of defense before truly getting paged on an alert such as a drive filling (perhaps you have txt files you can purge or shrink logs (though I don't necessarily condone this, but you get the idea!)

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Show current data sizes on purging page

On the data purging page would it be possible to show for each of the data categories how much space each one is currently occupying.

Possibly even an 'oldest date' too? As this may be pertinent if the purge thresholds haven't yet been met.

On some environments I want to keep as much SQL Monitor data as possible and if it's a healthy server you may have very little alert data, and so want to keep more history than you do say, machine data.

It would also help in cases where the Repository database is growing, and you're not sure…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. New alert type for blocking in parallel execution plans

We frequently get alerts for a "Blocking process" where 1 process is blocking itself because it is running in parallel and the threads are blocking each other. While this might represent a scenario that can be improved this is normal activity in queries that use a parallel execution plan. This alert is identifiable by "Number of blocked descendants: Unknown" and the lack of any blocked sessions.

I do not think this type of blocking should be ignored. But, there is no customize the behavior of this alert. If you exclude specific queries from the "Blocking process" alert you would not…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow nested groups on the Overview screen

I have a structure of groups where the first level is environment (Production, Test, Development, etc) but then I have component as a second level (ETL, Application, Data QA, Sandbox). On the Overview screen, only the first level of the grouping is used, and therefore I have servers under 'Production' all bundled together and ordered by name across all the secondary groups. Would be good if the overview screen could show multiple groups somehow ... I understand there might be servers under the first level and the second level, and it might be weird for some customers ... but for…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. On the Overview screen, collapse AlwaysOn clusters into a single tile

I have quite a few AlwaysOn groups, with 3 servers as part of the group. SQL Monitor very cleverly takes the cluster name and adds all 3 servers to the monitoring list ... HOWEVER, on the Overview screen, they show as individual servers. It would be good if I could collapse that all down into one tile that shows an overall health of the group. I realize this is a different situation from an FCI because there can be multiple 'active' nodes, but it would be good if SQL Monitor understood that I added an AG listener server list and…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Configurable Thresholds Based on Time

The alerts would be more useful if we could apply maintenance or quiet periods to them.

I understand we have the maintenance window and that is perfect for things like planned downtime, index maintenance etc.

Regards,
    Clive

However, the issue I currently face is that I suppress the processor under utilised message. Like a prolonged spike in CPU activity, a massive drop off could be a concern too. However, I have a current mean of 18.6% on one example server. I can set a threshold of 15% as an example, but this would trigger alerts through the night when typically…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Blocking process alert based on number of descendants

While the alert for blocking process is great, it would be nice to be able to configure the trigger for number of descendants affected as well.

If a blocking process runs for 30 seconds and affects 10 people but the alert is configured for a one minute duration of the block it would obviously not let you know

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?