I suggest you ...

Alert when SQL Monitor is having a problem.

We have the SQL Monitor database located on a different server from the Base and Web Service. We had an instance where the SQL Server hosting the SQL Monitor database went down. When that server went down it failed to send us an alerts and we didn't know that SQL Monitor was having no problems as it wasn't sending out any email alerts to notify us that it couldn't connect to it's database. A nice fix would be to have SQL Monitor send an alert to notify us that it can't do it's job.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian PiesikBrian Piesik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Daniel RothigAdminDaniel Rothig (Software Engineer, Red Gate Software) responded  · 

(Gathering Feedback)

Hi Brian,

The SQL Monitor database becoming unavailable is, unfortunately, the only edge case of something going wrong with SQL Monitor and it still being capable of sending an email alert.

If you were to monitor the SQL Server hosting the SQL Monitor database, you would get a “Database Unavailable” alert for this, which seems to do what you are asking for.

Could you let us know if that’s an adequate solution, or if we’re missing something?

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian PiesikBrian Piesik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently monitoring it now but there is no alerts being sent that the database is down.

Easiest way to test it was to take the SQL Monitor Database offline. No events are recorded or sent to handle that situation. Can give you the Base monitor log of it happening if needed.

Brian

Feedback and Knowledge Base