I suggest you ...

Disable deadlock alert emails at the database level

We have a couple of databases from 3rd party apps that regularly deadlock themselves, typically trying to update tables that are undergoing housekeeping operations. I can't fix it so I don't really want to keep hearing about it. But I'd like the deadlocks to be recorded so I can still investigate if I get reports of serious issues.

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David WimbushDavid Wimbush shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Colin MillerchipAdminColin Millerchip (Admin, Red Gate Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Nigel's comment should cover what you need here.
        I also wanted to point out that you can configure alerts at lots of levels, but in my experience not everyone is aware of this: for eg, many people don't spot the ability to configure at the database or disk level, or aren't aware that you can configure for groups of servers (if you organise your servers into groups). I've put together a graphic of the different levels of configurability : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10715620/RG/SQLMonitorAlertConfig.PNG

• Nigel RowlesNigel Rowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might be missing something but I just customize the setting for that level, select an emeail recipient and don't put anything in the email address box. That way the alerts are recorded but it does not send email

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bump for this one. looks like it's not been looked at in a while but the issue is still a p.i.t.a!

• Johnny CoutureJohnny Couture commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't make it possible to disable *any* alert at a database level... It would result in a better management, for example for 3rd party databases alerts.Thank you !

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this. I have the same issue with a 3rd party database which I know has frequent deadlocks (50+ every night) thus 'real' deadlocks get lost in their 'noise'. Disabling per server isn't an option as I would still like to be informed of deadlocks in the other databases on the same server.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a really useful addition, especially where something as noisy as Reporting Services has its database hosted on a server with other databases.

Feedback and Knowledge Base