I suggest you ...

Enhance the "job failed" alert with info from failed job step(s)

Right now we only see the info from the job itself, while the relevant stuff is usually in the steps.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Blaž DakskoblerBlaž Dakskobler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Allen DunnAllen Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Job Step Failure alert is essential as currently jobs where the "quit the job..." option is not enabled you can miss failures.
        I am aware thet the job history in SQL Server GUI does not show failed steps if the last step completes, but it would be ideal to not have to query all servers for failed steps when SQL Monitor could pick them up.

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The additional SSIS info would be VERY helpful, especially as the SSISDB query from SSMS is a SLUG and cumbersome and calls for a lot of clicking to drill down to the information - and I only have ONE PACKAGE in SQL2012 to monitor!

• Blaž DakskoblerBlaž Dakskobler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forgot an important comment about job steps:

At the moment there is no alert in case a job step fails, but it is NOT set to "quit the job reporting failure"... ie. one can have a multi-step job where the desired behavior is that the steps execute no matter what happened in previous steps. In case one of those steps fails, an alert would be beneficial or even crucial.

• Blaž DakskoblerBlaž Dakskobler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey. The thing I'm missing most is the error message for the failed step. It's the message you see in job history GUI in SSMS for a particular job step. Of course there's other stuff there as well (step number, duration...).
        For SQL 2012 job steps that run SSIS packets, one step further would be to include error messages from the SSISDB catalog, since all the error message on job step says is something like "go check SSISDB catalog for more details" :)
        Hope that helps.

Feedback and Knowledge Base