I suggest you ...

Base Set Of Normalized Views For Custom Reporting

Currently there is no proper DDF or similar tool in SQL Monitor 2.x or 3.x that users can employ to meet custom reporting needs. There are a handful of queries floating around as well as some SSRS Reports but in general there is no set of general purpose tools for custom reporting, not even a partially completed Data dictionary.

I have proposed (in a separate thread in the older SQL Monitor 2.3 forum) that Red-gate consider putting together a set of base views that like their table counterparts can be combined together to produce rich data sets for the purposes of custom reporting independent of what reporting solution you use be it SSRS, Crystal Reports, Excel or any of several popular reporting software solutions.

The issue isn’t that there’s no reporting tool a customer can use but that there’s no base objects that can be used to feed a custom report. All of the solutions I’ve seen mentioned in various threads are designed for specific reporting needs and therefore not flexible. What I am proposing/asking of Red-Gate, is a set of base tools that can be used for custom reporting. The simplest and most flexible of choices to meet this need would be views. They are easily updated (to accommodate future changes in SQL Monitor) and do not require that any changes be made to the source data nor to the way the product works. They also make it possible for the customer to use whatever reporting software solution they want.

If this sounds like something you would be interest in then please post a reply in this thread and make Red-Gate aware of your custom reporting interests.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BlueCollarCriticBlueCollarCritic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BlueCollarCriticBlueCollarCritic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NOTE: I realized only after posting the above (I copied and pasted it as is from a post I made in the support forum and was told to put that some post here instead) that the description was not complete with regards to the title, specifically the use of the term Normalized.

A base set of Normalized views would be views that like normalized tables return information that is normalized to 3rd normal form that can then be joined with other views to create more complex queries for reporting. The problem with the views and existing SSRS reports are that they use complex queries that fit specific reporting needs and therefore are not useful for other reporting needs. To make use of these one would need to reverse engineer the views and then re-build them to meet their own needs. A set of base normalized views like tables would server as building blocks and therefore far more useful and flexible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base