I suggest you ...

Display DB growth rate, including DB File-layout

DB sizing is any DBA's worst nightmare, mostly because very few of us were involved when the DB was designed. Thus, DB data- and log-file layouts, project growth and maximum sizing, all becomes very important properties and settings, which the DBA needs to be aware of. Also, tracking growth rate to plan for future planning regarding underlying disk space is as important to any DBA.

This would be very useful to incorporate it into SQL Monitor, having the option to navigate to SQL Server Instance-level, from the Global Overview option and then display the underlying properties for each database in terms of Total Size, Free Space and Un-used space, as well as logial names, file-location and properties mentioned above. Also, have the ability to track DB growth rate, saving historic sizes and plotting a trend. This can be enhanced even further by sending alerts based on incosistent growth rates, or even just the fact that DB data-files had to autogrow etc.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nicolaas BotesNicolaas Botes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...