I suggest you ...

Ability to store a baseline

After attending SQL in the city and listening to Grant Fritchey talk about the need to create baselines (and demo sql monitor) a feature I would like is the ability to create a baseline over 24 hours and have it stored. This could be then added to the analysis page as a Versus. ie last hour vs baseline, last day vs baseline.

110 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Daniel RothigDaniel Rothig responded  · 

(Closing)

With SQL Monitor v.3.5 introducing a powerful baselining feature, we consider this suggestion as completed. If you feel that our new feature doesn’t quite solve the problem for you, please let us know.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-monitor/baselining

We are happy to announce that SQL Monitor v3.5 has been released.

SQL Monitor now supports automatically creating a baseline against which you can compare previous metric activity. You can set the baseline to include metric data collected during single or multiple previous time ranges, and choose between two different views of the Analysis graph:
    • Lines view: each time range included in the baseline is represented by a separate line. This helps you to spot behavioural trends.
    • Regions view: shaded regions help you to quickly identify the areas where metric activity occurred most frequently, and shows whether your latest data pattern falls outside the normal limits for your server.

We are looking forward to hear your feedback on this feature.

Thanks,
    SQL Monitor Development Team

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jonathanallen69jonathanallen69 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daniel, this request is wholly different from the baselines available in SQL Monitor v3.5. We need to be able to store a baseline for performance for a given duration, in isolation, for as long as we choose. Not to have to keep everything from a point in time in order to draw baselines from that data. this request should not be closed.

• Blaž DakskoblerBlaž Dakskobler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Priya,

First, props for the feature. Was already using the compare feature extensively, this is a nice upgrade to that.

I'd like to point out something that came to my mind while using it - sometimes you get data you would like to exclude from the baseline. Let's say you want to check out some graph for today, 24 hours back and extend that a couple days more into the past. The problem is what if one day was completely off the baseline - you'd want to exclude that, else it skews the baseline.
        Don't really have an idea how to solve this elegantly, but thought I'd share this with you anyway.

Cheers,
        Blaž

• kevrileykevriley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

excellent idea. Maybe also add baseline management, so that after a major change you can 'recalibrate' your baseline

Feedback and Knowledge Base