I suggest you ...

Always mention the particular data object (stored procedure) causing the alert

Right now we get a lot of "long running querys" without the alert screen or the email mentioning what data object is causing this. When checking details the data is there (in the form of a "create procedure"), so it can't be too hard to extract this information!

This is important for two reasons:

1 (Most important) You want to have customized alert options for certain data objects! For example, we don't want alerts when a backup, index rebuild or a long running SP is running. We need a longer timeout for these alerts.

This can now be acciomplished with the global regexp exclude on particular querys on the whole database, but it doesn't work correctly and reg exps are hard and fragile.

2. When you get an email, you always want to know what is causing this

111 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SimonSimon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ADAM, It has been almost a YEAR since your post. Any UPDATES?

Would that you could improve the Alert's "SQL Culprit". I have a UDF that is heavily used, so the snippet I see is that code, not the underlying code that used it, so I'm utterly blind and the Alert is nigh on useless. Is there ANYTHING you can do to "give me more about the context", please?

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this falls in with this request. Alerts on SQL Agent Jobs should include the job name, not jus the HEX ID. How hard could it be to run :

SELECT name FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs_view WHERE job_id =
        CAST(@JobIDVariable AS UNIQUEIDENTIFIER)

Feedback and Knowledge Base