I suggest you ...

Allow emails to be sent based upon alert priority.

i.e. only send an email for alerts with a Medium or High priority.

127 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daniel WatkinsDaniel Watkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    John McPJohn McP shared a merged idea: Customize email alert based on the alert level  ·   · 
    planned  ·  Daniel RothigDaniel Rothig responded  · 

Hi all,

We have looked into this recently, and have run into quite a few design and engineering challenges that you would not expect from such a seemingly straightforward feature. We are hoping to do this in the future, but I’m afraid I can’t really give you an ETA.

Clearly this is a popular request, and we are very keen to get it right. Please bear with us as we figure this one out. Your votes and comments continue to be much appreciated!

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BlueCollarCriticBlueCollarCritic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Daniel Rothig

I just wanted to let you know that as a custom report developer I can fully appreciate and sympathize how a seemingly straightforward change can turn out to be far more challenging than you'd think. Within the world of custom reporting users often are unable to grasp why there is sometimes no simple way (if at all) to recreate within a custom report, a peace-meal report they’ve built in Excel (or similar application) . A peace-meal report is where a user has taken a piece from one report and a piece from another and done that many times from 2 or more unrelated reports to create single report. Since they are able to do this easily with copy& paste in Excel they are unable to understand why the same cannot be easily automated in a custom report and/or at least not in an efficient report.

Thanks for letting us know that this is something that RedGate is working towards.

• Colin MillerchipAdminColin Millerchip (Admin, Red Gate Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m sorry that we’ve not progressed this one as fast as we’d have liked. We’re aware of the importance of email management, and I realise that the workarounds suggested here are far from perfect. Despite the design and engineering challenges of this area, it’s one that is a high priority for us to address.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm tired of getting spammed.
        I'm tired of setting up email client rules.

I want to be alerted, on my phone, when something bad happens to a production server, as an out of the box feature.

i.e. - send me an email for high level alerts that occur to my Production server group. Nothing else.

Come on guys.

• John StaffordJohn Stafford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would definitey by useful - low priority might just go to me as info, but medium and high to the main support desk to deal with.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like to see this implemented, be much nicer to configure this within sql monitor rather than having to use another product. I would also really like the ability to send email alerts only when an alert has been recorded a predefined number of times in a given time frame. (80 deadlocks within 3 mins - for example)

• inariusinarius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my number one feature request. I need more granularity for email alerting because this products best selling point is the ability to be notified of certain critical issues. I am a DBA of many server installations, yet this product becomes more cumbersome and less useful with each license I purchase...

Feedback and Knowledge Base