Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — the Redgate Monitor team will often stay quiet initially about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

682 results found

1. Total data file size/used metrics - add filegroup level

CONTEXT: We have some databases with multiple filegroups, I’d be useful to be able to drill down from the DB level to the FG level on the “Total data file size” and “Total data file used” metrics.

PROBLEM: Not being able to slice totals by FG is problematic, since different FGs often have different capacity / performance requirements, different space used speed/patterns etc.

EXAMPLE SOLUTION: For “Total data file size” and “Total data file used” add an additional selector window after the database selector: a list of filegroups + an (All) option at the top. So, the selectors would be:…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Use error messages from SSIS catalogue

When a job fails, which is run from SSIS Catalogue, then the error message is basically "look in SSIS Catalogue", which is not very useful. I suggest using the error message from the [SSISDB].[catalog].[event_messages] view instead for these cases.

In our home made monitoring system we're checking the subsystem in sysjobsteps, then use the command from there to identify the dtsx package name and looking up the latest message from [SSISDB].[catalog].[event_messages] for that package for the error message.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Custom disk alerts in a cluster is lost when instance is moved to a new host

We often use customized disk alerts for larger disks i.e. instead of using the default alerts we might configure a High alert at 200 GB and a medium at 250 GB.

These custom alerts is not set on the instance level so when we move the instance to a new host the custom alerts will not follow the instance and the alert has to be set up again.

As our largest cluster is 9 node cluster with 23 instances and 3 disk each this cause us to configure these alerts at a maximum of 621 instead of 69 times. That…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Include instance-specific name (@@SERVERNAME) on alert mails

The alert mails for a SQL Server cluster contain the cluster name but not the actual instance virtual name. It would be nice if the mails contained the actual virtual name (as given by "select @@servername") so that the email contained all the details needed to connect to an alerting instance.

My cluster name (i.e. CLUST01) is a different IP than my virtual names (i.e. VIRTUALSQL01), which means that I can't connect to my "FOO" instance by "CLUST01\FOO" as the alert email seems to indicate. Instead I need to connect via "VIRTUALSQL01\FOO" which is not present anywhere in the alert…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow custom metrics to be optionally created as "event" alerts rather than default "continuous" alerts.

I have installed the "Used/available database space increased alert" which alerts when defined thresholds of used space have been exceeded. However, once activated, the alert remains in an active state with no additional notifications (easily missed). I'd prefer to have this metric run daily and notify each time a threshold is exceeded.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Offer integration with power bi

I've love the ability to integrate SQL monitor with Power Bi for building dashboards of analysis graphs. Since Power BI is offering a powerful way to setup dashboards with metrics users/managers care about this would be a great way to enhance many analytical report options by outsourcing the creation of those to users more and more, and offering the integration with power bi to make it easy to do.

SQL Sentry offers an integration with their cloud product to work with their metrics and Power BI in case you want to evaluate how it might be used. https://www.sqlsentry.com/Company/News-Article/20150505-power-bi-content-pack-sql-sentry

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/monitoring-your-sql-sentry-data-with-power-bi/

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Alerts in SERVER Time Zone, NOT Browser!

Back in June 2016, I added the following to the now-defunct "Previous version" SQL Monitor Forum. The responder said it was in the Q for the next sprint, no promises as to its inclusion. DISAPPOINTMENT/FRUSTRATION continues to be experienced 6 MONTHS later!

Alerts at SERVER time, NOT UTC! PLEASE!

For the love of all DBA's with servers in multiple time zones (yes, this happens), for goodness sake STOP emailing the time of the Alert based on the SQL Monitor's Regional Settings.

In 2016, this statement from the page at https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SM5/Alerts, is nigh on unbelievable, "All alert times in SQL…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Filter Longest Running Queries Tile by Database

The Longest Running Queries Tile on the Reports screen would be more useful if we could target only one database.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Displaying the actual names of the disks and not just the Volume Number for the Disk space alert

In SQL Monitor when you are using the disk space alert in conjunction with multiple volumes on different mountpoints SQL Monitor tends to display just the HardDisk Volume number in the alert, this is extremely unhelpful as it means you have to log on to the physical server, launch diskmgmt.msc and match the disk thats alerting to take any action. Is it possible to just display the mount point name as opposed to the Disk Volume Number? This would be extremely helpful and would give a wealth of information instantly.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add capability to export Alert information in csv, xml format for analysis

It would be good to be able to export Alert information for downstream analysis of frequency and timings for Alerts. E.g. Deadlocks over a period of several weeks - allows to identify hotspots and trends for certain Alerts

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

(Gathering feedback)

Hi, is frequency analysis something that we could offer in-app, or would you specifically prefer to export the data first?

11. Custom metric: alert when value changed

I want to be alerted if someone creates or deletes a database. The metric itself is easy (select count(*) from sys.databases - executed for the master DB on all servers).

But in the alert setting I can only define that it should trigger if the new result is abover or below a set value but not for value changed (compared eigther to the previous value or the "baseline").

So I have to create two metrics / alerts for DB drop (below) and create (above) AND have to define / modify the number of databases as alert threshold for each server…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. allow analysis graphs to update with realtime data without having to manually refresh them

We have SQLmonitor analysis graphs running on wallboards to show us data that is useful to us, but we continually need to click the button to "jump to present", as the timeline does not update as more data is collected to show the most recent history. We want the graph to move automatically to match the current time of day.
    Maybe a "play" button that would allow thye display to automatically refresh the graph along the timeline and a pause button should you want to drill deeper into a certain time period when investigating issues. Having the graph update automatically…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Customise Email Settings For Each Alert Setting

It would be great if you could have an override on each alert to allow for a customised email setting just for that alert.
    Currently an alert can have a different email address BUT it only uses the default settings, if I wanted to fine tune for that alert I can't.
    Thanks, Steve

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Monitor Hyper-V hosts

https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums/91743-suggestions/suggestions/2936441-identify-if-virtualization-hosts-are-congested is closed, so I'm opening a new suggestion - please add the ability to monitor Hyper-V hosts, similarly as we can currently monitor VMware hosts.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Monitor Table Growth and get projections

It would be nice if in the Estate tab under disk usage, we could dig deeper and see table growth and projected growth over time.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Save metrics used on Analysis page and enable quick way to select them from GUI

I find myself selecting the same SQL metrics when monitoring or analyzing issues.

It would be nice if I could save metrics and settings for them and next time just select them from the drop-down.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Baseline machine metrics across cluster failovers

CONTEXT: Using the Analysis graph for historical performance analysis of machine metrics on a cluster that failed over at least once

PROBLEM: Machine metrics are collected per node. Baselines of only one node can be shown at a time, and so no baseline view of performance on the "active" component can be synthesised.

EXAMPLE SOLUTIONS:
    • Enable multiple simultaneous baselines
    • Implement synthetic (bimodal) baselines across cluster nodes
    • Provide synthetic metrics for entites on the "active" component of a cluster

What do you think about these solutions? Got another idea? Let us know in the comments!

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Reduce false positives due to log shipping / Mirroring

On secondary server for log shipping/mirroring false positives can be generated for overdue backups/databases unavailable. If these technologies are used for DR purposes then having the checks ignored is unsafe. It is trivial to filter these out with the below code and I'm sure there is something similar in place for Availability Group databases already.

SELECT *
    FROM sys.databases
    WHERE name NOT IN (SELECT secondarydatabase FROM msdb.dbo.logshippingsecondarydatabases UNION SELECT dbname(databaseid) FROM msdb.sys.databasemirroring WHERE mirroringrole_desc = 'MIRROR')

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Customize Disk Space alert for C: drive on all servers

SQL Monitor allows me to set global settings for Disk Space alerts, and then override for a complete server group, for all disk of one single server, or for a specific disk.

What I want is to have different settings for the system drive (C:) as compared to the other drives, Currently I need to set this for each individual C: drive, so one change per server.

Please make it possible to specify global settings (applying to all disks on all servers), and then add an override for C: on all servers.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Monitor Resource Governor