Skip to content

Suggestions

Welcome to the Redgate Monitor feature suggestions list. Tell us how we can improve Redgate Monitor by voting on these suggestions or by submitting your own ideas.

This is the easiest way to make an impact on Redgate Monitor’s roadmap. Check out the completed suggestions to see how your ideas have influenced us in the past. Please note that this list is one of multiple sources that drive our development, meaning that we will not always implement the highest-ranking suggestions.

To give your idea the greatest possible impact, please follow these guidelines:

• Describe the goal you’re trying to accomplish, rather than a specific solution to get there
  • If you have a favoured solution, add it as a comment to your suggestion
  • Give us as much context as possible
  • Only make one suggestion per post. If you have multiple ideas, submit them in separate posts
  • Comment and vote on existing posts to develop the ideas — the Redgate Monitor team will often stay quiet initially about new suggestions to see what you have to say!

If you have any questions visit the Redgate Monitor forum.

686 results found

1. Central configuration of child base monitors from the parent/central base monitor

Context: We have a base monitor at our office connected to one or multiple base monitors at our clients environment.

Problem: To configure the base monitor at our clients location, we need to connect to that base monitor. In order for us to reach that base monitor we have a to connect through multiple VPN's and steppingstones, which makes a simple click a time consuming action for us.

Desired solution: We want to be able to configure a child base monitor from our central base monitor at our office. For example adding a member tot a group or check on…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Neil Turner responded

We will soon be exploring how to make it easier to configure multiple base monitors.

2. Support for showing multiple metrics with the same units on Analysis Graph

When showing more than one metric on a graph on the Analysis page, I fully understand that it is difficult to merge the units scales on the x axis. So what you get is each graph has it's 'own' x axis - and I get that - it makes sense when the units are incompatible (eg. percentage vs KB used vs batch/sec).

But when all the metrics are measure in the same units, it can create a visually confusing graph.

For example I'm looking at memory usage over time, so I've chosen Machine: memory used, SQL Server: total memory, SQL…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Single Sign-On (SSO).

We would love to have Single Sign-On added so we can use CAS for authentication. This feature would really help make things easier even more so then LDAP/NTLM even... I know I been on a support ticket for weeks to have a "work around" be the answer.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I wish the blocking Process report included the resource the Blocked processes are waiting on.

My Dev write 500+ line procedures and functions so the SQL "Fragment" is seldom very helpful.
    It would be much more helpful to identify the resources the processes are blocked on. Even just the waitresource and waittype columns from sys.dmexecrequests would help.

I know some of the resource types are tough to parse in T-SQL.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Monitor Azure SQL Read Scale-out Database

I would like to monitor the Read Scale-out Azure SQL DB that gets created when on Business Critical tier.
    We are moving our Read queries to this database using "ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly" specified in the connection string. SQL Monitor allows to configure the primary for monitoring but provides no options to add a connection string when adding a server so am unable to add the secondary read-only DB for monitoring.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Find Queries / Stored Procs whose Performance has Decreased Over Time

In preparation for changing the database compatibility level for our primary database to 2014, we would like to see which queries and stored procedures are performing poorly after the switch is made in the staging environment. While I can do this to a limited extent by looking at top queries in Red Gate Monitoring, I was wondering if there was an automated way to alert on this. For example, alert on any stored procedures / queries that appear in the top 100 costliest queries by duration / CPU usage, whose average duration / CPU usage has more than doubled since…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Configurable time for fragmented indexes alert run

I would like an GUI option to configure the time the alert fragmented indexes run instead of it being set at 1.00am Sunday morning

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

Note that this can set in the BaseMonitor .config file

8. Add custom metrics to Overview(s)

Add the ability to choose what is displayed on the overview for a given server/instance - especially with the addition of custom metrics.

Even better would be to allow the addition of multiple overviews (aka Dashboards) and configure what each one displays.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Daniel Rothig responded

We like that idea – if it gains traction, we’ll prioritise it more

9. Trigger Self Healing Script and Auto Close

It would be great if SQL Monitor could invoke a SQL script upon an alert threshold being crossed and then take action within itself (ie. clear itself, notify a team, etc) based on the value returned (0/1) or default to an action if there is an issue with the script execution.

This type of functionality would help administrators have a first line of defense before truly getting paged on an alert such as a drive filling (perhaps you have txt files you can purge or shrink logs (though I don't necessarily condone this, but you get the idea!)

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Utilize SQL (or SQL-like) statements in filters.

Utilize SQL (or SQL-like) statements in the filters, specifically on the Overview tab to filter on server name. For example: '%sql%' AND '%prod%'
    Currently you can only do 1 fuzzy logic search. Also, you cannot search just by one character.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Configure Data Purge by Server/Instance or at least by Server group.

I would like to keep production server performance data for a month or more but the dev server data can be purged after a couple of weeks.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Notification Profiles

It would be nice to have different notification profiles. For example, I'd like to have a notification profile for business hours vs. after hours.
    For business hours, I'd like to be notified when certain alerts happen, but during after hours, I would only like to know about if there is a system down issues.

It would be nice to have some kind of alert escalation system like this. So if I want certain alerts to alert me only when the High threshold has been reached after hours, but any other alerts during business hours.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Export/Import Report configurations

I'm using RedGate SQL server with different clients. Since the environments are not connected I have to manually create Report configurations for each client which takes quite some time. Also, any change to the Report configurations has to be then deployed by cilcking. Some export to XML or something similar and import wia PowerShell API would be nice.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SQL Monitor Audit Trail

It would be nice to have an audit trail of changes in SQL Monitor. For example, if an alert is changed, a new instances is added/removed, or users are added or removed.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Exclude offline databases from backup alerts

Exclude all offline data bases from the overdue backup alert as we do not have a need to backup an offline data base. For us if a data base is taken offline it's most likely because its been migrated to another server or no longer needed and will eventually be deleted.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Long Running Query Duration for Specific Queries

It would be really useful is this feature came into Live!

We have a number of queries that run on our SQL servers. We are aware these normally run for a long period of time (5-10 minutes) and do not want to exclude these from being alerted to us. Rather than changing the Long Running Query threshold for all the queries within the server we would like to be able to do it for these specific queries that take that little bit longer than others.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable Multi-Factor Authentication for login screen

MFA is rapidly becoming a security standard. Redgate provides a map of the entire companies estate - which would be interesting to an attacker, it would be good if security could be tightened on that login process.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export options for "Head Blocker" diagram

The "Overviews | BLOCKING PROCESSES (TOP 10 BY TIME)" shows a really nice chart of the blocking chain. It would be useful if this could be exported to an image file and/or a CSV.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. exclude databases from alerts with a named pattern

Some of our databases are named "XXX_Database", the "XXX" indicating that it should not be monitored. It would be nice to exclude those from alerts based on a given naming pattern.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Service Level Agreement Metric Report

The following contract metrics are common to many US Government clients. It would be very helpful (and a real time-saver) if SQL Monitor had report that could provide the below listed SLA's in a monthly email to an editable distribution. The report should be .pdf or .xlsx format, with layout intended to communicate to executive audiences. The setup for the report should allow comparing baseline dates. Thanks in advance for considering this idea.

• List of database instances
    • Database uptime
    • Components that are reaching capacity
    • Computer resources growth
    • Reserve capacity
    • Throughput I/O
    22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)